pierre smith

Well Known Member
Our Rotary club came by my hangar yesterday since I had the program, to see the progress on my -12.

One of the spectators looked in the completed tailcone and asked, "Why is the 'roof' blue inside?" AAArrrgh..the plastic is still on!

Two questions..Does it matter?
2. Can it be dissolved? With what?

Da$%

TIA,

Pierre,
I had to replace the fuselage bottom front panel on my RV-10. (don't ask!:mad:) It's a quick build from the Philippines factory. When I drilled out the zillion rivets and removed it I discovered that where it over lapped the spar bottom and the back bottom panel they had left quite a large piece of blue plastic. They just mated the panels together and riveted them together. Oh well, it still flew well. :D

I'd remove it using a hair dryer on low if necessary. It might not be necessary - some old blue vinyl on my RV-3B wasn't that hard to remove. I cut it into strips with a soldering iron and removed it in strips.

Dave

Yep

My RV builder-assist buddy, Ray Lawrence has a 21 year old daughter, all of 4' 10" (90 lbs.) who has crawled inside my Air Tractor fuselage, bucking rivets on a new belly skin.

I've already mentioned it to them :)

Best,

It matters

Pierre,
I'd say it definitely matters. If you get some moisture between the metal and the plastic it will begin to corrode. I remember one builder posted a few years ago he had to trash some skins because of corrosion due to the blue plastic.