RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am getting closer and closer to getting this bird on her feet. I have the grove nose wheel and ordered a tube from Desser, the valve stem is off center. I did not modify the wheel and can get things to feet and aired up.

I know many have been flying with this nose wheel and I assume use the tube with the off center stem.

Couple of questions:

1. How has the tube worked out any problems?
2. Grove recommended modifying the existing wheel for the stem offset. Did anyone do this modification and could you post some pictures please?

I am trying to decide if I should shell out more money for the Beringer wheel very nice looking assembly. The tire is tubeless so I wonder how well it holds air. Might do well at low levels but what about getting up high to catch some winds, would hate to get down to a flat nose wheel.

Thanks for any inputs, if you are flying fine with the offset stem on the standard Grove wheel I would love to hear from you.

Cheers

not much experience yet,
but we have 43 trouble free hours with about 70 landings on the grove wheel with the standard valvestem-offset tubes.

debated the issue a while ago, and although it looks really awkward and "not right" at first sight, there's hardly any reports about actual troubles with this combination of rim and tube to be found...
we do have slight fore/aft shimmy during rollout at a narrow speedband somewhere in the region of 40kts. so when decelerating we try to pass this range quickly, either letting it roll faster or braking "through" the shimmy zone. other than that, no taxi shimmy or such with the grove wheel.

rgds bernie

Flew for about 3 years with no problems, I replaced the nose tire/tube every annual and ran with 40-45 psi. Preventive maintenance = reliability.

160 hours on my Grove wheel and no problems so far. It has the stock tube That came from Van's.