JanRV6UK

Well Known Member
I have a question regarding the 068-001 valve from Grove ? is it basically a check valve that when ?closed? allow flow in ONE direction only ? i.e. you press the brake pedal and pressurise the calliper. Then when you ?open? the valve you push the check valve off its seat relieving the pressure allowing the oil to flow back into system (master cylinder and brake reservoir.

When you manipulate the leaver on the side of the valve you can feel a high point ? which for me is when you lift the valve of its seat (i.e. opening the valve) ....

Have I got this right ?

I was more wondering about how the valve works - i.e. does it close flow in BOTH direction (I do not have a valve to hand) .... so that to set the brakes ... you have to press the brake pedal FIRST .. then close the valve .. i.e. it has no check valve it is just a on/off valve ..

I just had one apart to swap handle to other side. It sounds like you have it right. The cam shaft does have a dimple in the end with the clip that shows the orientation of the valves.
If you wold like to see how it's designed, remove the AN fittings, remove the springs, valves and push pins. Remove the screw that holds the handle to the shaft and then slide the shaft out of the housing. It's really basic.

Thanks guys - one question .... do you have to apply the brakes BEFORE you pull the valve to the 'off' positions ? It would have been easier if I had a valve I could have tried on :) ..

I push the brakes on and set the parking brake. To release, I only move the parking brake to off.

Yes.

The valve only holds the pressure, but you need to apply the brakes to build the pressure first.

BTW, the pressure bleeds off after awhile, so dont forget to set chocks.

The automotive equivalent is something called "lever lock". It comes in at least two types: lever and electric solenoid. Can get from Summit, Jegs etc.
Problem is if you have a slow leak in one of your calipers, it will dump some brake fluid and release the brake.

The automotive equivalent is something called "lever lock".

Or, often called "line lock" but they usually only have the needed ports for a single in/out, or some of them single in, and dual out and is installed to replace the "T" in the front brake circuit.