DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Wrapping up miscellaneous details before the haul to the airport. One thing on the list was fabricating a method of jacking up a wheel for service.

The Grove aluminum gear leg has no center counterbore, so unlike the steel legs you can't insert a jacking stub from the inner side. Unlike A-model legs, the aluminum axles are not counterbored so you can't use a long stub from the outside either. You can't jack under the end because of the internal brake line drilling; there's a fluid fitting on the end of the leg.

Sidestepping the problem with jacks under the wing tiedown points is fine for service at home, but I wanted something for the travel tool bag.

So, here's the direct approach, bolt-on lift points using the upper axle attach bolts. You also fabricate a 7/16" open end wrench with a Z-handle so you can reach in behind the brake rotor and hold the heads.

Now you can lift with whatever you have available; a small bottle jack, a scissors jack and a wood block, or even a lever made from a few bricks and a 2x4.

These were fabbed from 2x2x3/16 mild steel angle, a bit of 3/16 plate to lengthen one leg, and a short length of 1-3/4 tube for a safety ring. You need a "left' and "right"; note the angle of the bolt pattern. The angle puts the flat of the lift point parallel to the ground.

If I have these in the tool bag I will surely never have a flat away from home ;)

Last edited:
Nice work - as usual !

Looking at an 8 as next project - as an aside, did you order the Grove gear as a separate order or as a substitution with Vans when you ordered the kit ? Ideally, I would like Grove undercarriage and wheels and brakes.

I've used Robbie's products several times and really like his work.

Can't see a link on the Van's order site for the Grove gear.

Nice work - as usual !

Looking at an 8 as next project - as an aside, did you order the Grove gear as a separate order or as a substitution with Vans when you ordered the kit ? Ideally, I would like Grove undercarriage and wheels and brakes.

I've used Robbie's products several times and really like his work.

Can't see a link on the Van's order site for the Grove gear.

Totally separate operation. Delete items not wanted from the Vans order, then order Grove products from Grove.

"You need a "left' and "right"; note the angle of the bolt pattern. The angle puts the flat of the lift point parallel to the ground."...... Maybe not.

Looks like you have room to drill two bolt patterns on one unit.

Or, make the "bolt on" part, a permanent install. Shape it like a triangle so it is bolted as you have, but with a hole drilled and tapped in the upper part. When needed, just bolt the top part on with one bolt. The jack pad will self level.

In the tool kit you now have the small top part and one bolt and one wrench.

p.s.... I can't believe you own that jack..........:eek:

Dan, You're just in time with that one! I was just about to start figuring that one out for myself. Thanks. Nice job. Hopefully, I'll be flying over next time (soon) to visit instead of driving.

Polished gear?

Dan,

Did you polish your gear? I ask because I am wondering how to deal with the millions of swirls in the Grove fabrication process.

Or, make the "bolt on" part, a permanent install.

The first design was something along those lines. There's a considerable bending moment and I decided I didn't want the upper end to touch the inside of the gear leg when loaded.....dent/gouge = stess riser. These don't touch the aluminum leg at all.

Jim: Hurry up! I need stick time!

RBR: Get a 6" 3M Hookit soft pad for your air random orbital sander and some Hookit disks, 400, 800, 1500, 2000. Wet sand, working up through finer grits. Be sure you completely eliminate the previous scratch size on each step. From there you can switch to buffing.

Alternate plan...if you have a professional metal buffing shop in your area (big floor mounted Baldor buffers!), they can polish directly from 600 or 800 grit. That's what I did, treating their work as a rough-out stage and fine finishing when I got the legs home.

Last edited:
Gasman,

That jack will have history......

Saving a gal's life out in the bayou, helping a buddy change out a tire on his awesome pickup, pushing out a fender on your dad's car before he gets home...........

Old tackle is good tackle !

You know the pictures of the Spirit of St Louis propped up on a wheeled tailskid dolly? That's the jack he used to get it up there. Yeah, really, my sister got it for me, see, she knows this guy, and he had proof........

Last edited:
Gasman,

That jack will have history......

Saving a gal's life out in the bayou, helping a buddy change out a tire on his awesome pickup, pushing out a fender on your dad's car before he gets home...........

Old tackle is good tackle !

I guess my point was............ If it's in Dan's shop, and it doesn't move, it either gets polished or painted.

So it must have been a loaner...............................:D