flickroll

Well Known Member
The brackets supplied with the Grove gear are black, which appears to be some sort of coating. However, in talking to Grove, they said the black stuff is just a byproduct of heat treating. My question is, to those who have installed a Grove gear, what sort of coating did you apply to the fittings? Or did you leave them as-is and will rely on occasional oiling (LPS-2, etc.) for corrosion protection? Thanks

Builder Option

.....to those who have installed a Grove gear, what sort of coating did you apply to the fittings?.....for corrosion protection? Thanks
Jim,

Choices, choices. We all have to make them. Wherever I wanted the maximum in corrosion protection, I applied a popular high quality epoxy primer widely used in aerospace that is highly resistant to dirt, fuel, chemical and hydraulic fluid damage. The polished Grove gear was masked off and Akzo primer was applied, protecting the covered and hidden surfaces of the landing gear assembly such as underneath the wheel pants and intersection fairings.

1z68i6o.jpg

Priming the Grove backing plates

I did exactly the same thing as Rick. In fact, that picture could be my plane. --Nice work, Rick.

Michael Wynn
RV 8 FWF
San Ramon, CA