rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
So I haven't seen any posts recently on any type of group buys. This would seem to be an area where the group as a whole could potentially generate some savings for the active builders. I have not tried to investigate this idea in any manner yet but it may be possible to negotiate group pricing for many of the items that we need. These items could range the gamut from pitot tubes to toggle switches. I'd be interested I hearing other people's ideas about this. I think we all would like to save money so we can buy more stuff.

So I haven't seen any posts recently on any type of group buys. This would seem to be an area where the group as a whole could potentially generate some savings for the active builders. I have not tried to investigate this idea in any manner yet but it may be possible to negotiate group pricing for many of the items that we need. These items could range the gamut from pitot tubes to toggle switches. I'd be interested I hearing other people's ideas about this. I think we all would like to save money so we can buy more stuff.

I am just a little behind you in my construction(just now getting to the tanks) and am all for trying to save some $$, do you have items in mind?

Mike,

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of any rules on this matter. But having said that I still haven't seen any lately. I understand Doug's concerns but in concept I still think the power of a group of buyers could provide a benefit if managed properly. I invite advertisers to offer group buys at lower prices given commitments from builders for a larger quantity of purchases. Advertisers can purchase in larger quantities for a lower cost, pass on some of those savings to builders, and make more money by having more sales.

The only problem I see with that link is that the positive examples given are not "group buys", rather they are discounted surplus. Two different things.

I don't see any reason or rules precluding a member reaching out to vendors directly and asking them to promote a group buy on the site, though.

One question:
DR said:
1. Mfgrs and/or dealers who advertise on the site should feel free to contact me with ideas for group buys.
Is it all right for members to contact dealers/manufacturers who advertise here and suggest/ask for a group buy? [ed. Absolutely. dr] Because apart from the rare cases listed in the "rules" post, there's very little incentive for a manufacturer to just "out of the blue" offer a group buy. Sure, why not give away a large whack of profit, just for the heck of it when nobody asked! Not very good business practise.

But if there's something specific that a large group of people are suddenly interested in, maybe they could suggest that to the dealers on a pro-active basis.

Last edited by a moderator: