aadamson

Well Known Member
All,

I'm working on my panel and have the need for a hand ful or two of sizes of socket head screws. I want the black oxide version so they resist rust better than the regular ones. I can get everthing that I want from McMaster Carr, but they only come in bags of 100. I only need at most 12 of any one size.

I'd like to test the waters to see if others might be interested in these and if so, I'd be willing to front the buy and pull what you'd need and send them to your for the actual price plus shipping.

I'm also going to get matching Nylon washers to go under them.

As an example, if you look at the bottom of this picture, you'll see the similar ones that are holding the panel together.

DSCN1558%20(Medium).JPG
\

I got those from Lancair Avionics when they sent me my panel frame and metal. I could go to them for the other screws that I need, but figured, there might be others that would be interested, and so I thought I'd check here for a mini group buy first.

Let me know, if interested? I'll most likely get the following sizes if I order.
10-32 (Chelton Screens)
6-32 (round gauges, AutoPilot, Engine Monitor)
4-40 (AOA, ELT)
2-56 (Trim indicators, CO Detector?)

Some of these instruments have specific "do not exceed" lengths on the screws, the Cheltons for example are .22 + panel thickness, the AutoPilot is no longer than 3/8 + panel thickness. Others don't matter.

I'll continue to work on the lengths that I'm going need and share that back. But I'd suspect that this could be an easy way to get your panel screws, the good ones that won't rust, and save some money doing it.

Black oxide screws WILL rust quickly unless protected by an oil coating. Painted stainless might be a better choice.

yes, you are correct, I forgot to mention, I take "tri-flow" and a q-tip and just swab all my exposed screws in the cockpit. In a Cessna 172 that I owned for 10 years, I never had a screw rust after doing that. I only did it once too...

Painted stainless in a panel is just asking to be "worn" or "chipped" off... You are right that they won't rust, but they would get shinny after awhlie :).

Thanks,

I've been trying to decide what screws to use on the panel. I was looking at http://www.microfasteners.com, but I don't think they have the black oxide finish. I kind of like the round head socket screws. The ones you're getting have the head that's shaped like a cylinder, right?

Microfasteners sells Brass screws that are painted Black and look really nice!
They will also sell you small amounts but the prices are pretty cheap for the full 50 or 100 ct. bag.

Adam Silverstein
Finnish 8-Soon

Alan and I talked about this off line last night. Oddly enough, the Grainger folks paid us a visit today and dropped off thier 300 page fastener catalog. Grainger outlets are everywhere! They have the Allen Head cap screws as well as the Button Head cap screws and you can buy 100/box for $6 - $7. Go to www.grainger.com/fasteners or I have the catlog with all the part numbers and prices. -- Les

Note that McMaster sells #6 & #8 hex button head (or standard) Stainless Steel Black-oxide screws.

Yo Stein, is this something you might consider carrying? I just bit the bullet and bought the unit of sale quantities from M-C myself.

Jekyll

Alan ... try Ace hardware... the Ace Handy Hardware on the corner of 29 & Hugh Howell has everyyyyyyyything. You can buy as many or as little as you like. That's where I got my black oxide for my panel.

Great local source without having to go to McMaster or the like.

Willl have to try the tri-flow trick.