Phlyan Pan

Well Known Member
I'm aware of the two RV-12s being (already?) built by high school groups. I'm curious if anyone has ever attempted building as a group of owners, as in a club situation?

I guess I'm just looking for thoughts as to whether or not such a venture would be possible and maybe some thoughts on how to structure it to ensure a smooth and more importantly safe build with so many hands on at one time.

A subgroup of 7 out of our EAA chapter are currently building a Zenith 750. So far so good. We set out to build a simple day vfr airplane and have not deviated far from that. We Started in Spring 2011 and have the tail group done and wings are nearing completion. I think the key to success will be a plan from the out set and a simple one at that. The more complicated the airplane the more decisions there are to make. More decisions means more different opinions. You know what opinions are like. While we have not yet proven that it can be done we are on our way. I think. Good luck.

I am pretty heavily involved in the HS build in Indiana, so may have some insight on this. I can't see any problems, other than you will have to have more tools and perhaps a little more space than an individual or partnership build. The extra space comes in when you realize that for you will pair off and work on more components at a time. I do have a tool list that has worked for our group that I could pass on, but ours is probably a bigger group than you are talking about. Anyway, let me know if you want it.

There really doesn't seem to be much problem working as a group. You will have to structure yourselves so that things are recorded properly, and inspection becomes a cross-check among the workers. I think it is a great idea. BTW, what other HS build are you referring to? I assume you mean Teen Flight II (which I don't think is in a high school) but would like to know if it is another build.

Bob Kelly

Bob,
I was referring to your group as well as the teen flight group. Those are the only two that I was aware of. I meant "high school group" to mean of high school age.

Maxwell,
Do you know how the funding/financing of that project is being structured and how the aforementioned decisions are made? Is there some sort of voting/bi-law structure? Do all 7 members have ownership rights?

Pierre,
Thank you for that as well. I tried searching myself but did not come up with that example. I guess my google-fu is off today.