gasman

Well Known Member
Friend
I have these and am ready to contact ECI for replacements..... What should I expect from them as far as total cash difference?

I did mine 2 years ago. My cost was $485 for all 4 cylinders, I had about 250 hours on the cylinders and the cost was pro-rated against normal cylinder life. If I remember correctly, I also paid shipping to return my old cylinder.

Part of the saving was from a labor allowance that was included in the calculation to determine my final cost.

I did mine a couple years ago. I sent ECI an email and got a response that group B customers were not eligible for any discounts. I stewed on that for a week, then called and spoke with Tara Molyneux. She said I would receive a discount called "Warranty-SB08-1 Parallel Cyl" Retail price for 4 cylinders was $4860. The reduced warranty price was $2,888. This was more than others on VAF were charged, including a guy two hangars down from me that paid about $500 for all four just a few months earlier. Who knows what kind of discount they are now offering. Good luck.
Chuck

Group B Cylinder replacement

I did mine 2 years ago. My cost was $485 for all 4 cylinders, I had about 250 hours on the cylinders and the cost was pro-rated against normal cylinder life. If I remember correctly, I also paid shipping to return my old cylinder.

Part of the saving was from a labor allowance that was included in the calculation to determine my final cost.

I did mine in March 2012 when I bought the airplane and my experience is similar to Rick's. I think my costs were about the same and got the labor allowance computation as part of the reimbursement

No joy here

I have called them 3 times in the last couple of years and have pretty much been blown off. I have never been given the feeling that they care, want to help, or are interested in standing behind their product. I would love to hear if there is a different approach that might serve me better. Otherwise I am about to look at other cylinders.

Any ideas welcome here as well.......thx

I have called them 3 times in the last couple of years and have pretty much been blown off. I have never been given the feeling that they care, want to help, or are interested in standing behind their product. I would love to hear if there is a different approach that might serve me better. Otherwise I am about to look at other cylinders.

Any ideas welcome here as well.......thx

I had the same experiene when I talked with them about re-honing and re-ringing my (1500 hour) group A cylinders last year - no help at all on the phone. based on that, wI went straight to A.E.R.O and bought four new Lycoming assemblies for about $1000 each, and are very happy with them.

At SnF, I managed to catch one of the VP's at the ECI tent, and told him about the experience - he said that they would have taken care of everything...at which point I told him that (A) it was too late, and (B) They need to tell their folks that handle the phone this!

I like ECI, I have supported ECI, and I will probably buy (some) ECI parts in the future - but they need to get their customer service act together to avoid getting a bad reputation.

Group B

If you have Group B then you should be 485.00 for the replacement set of four. Gets confusing over what is Group A and B and why is the warranty coverage different. Group B has a manufacturing problem that started it and Group A didn't have that issue.
I think their warranty boss has changed a few times over the past years too. There's a nice lady named Ruth now who answers the warranty questions. When the AD came out in 2008 they got buried on the phones with frustrated customers and I don't think anyone was happy.

Grub

I would give Joe a call, I have found him responsive and easy to work with.

Joe L. Trampota
Engine Components International
Account Manager Wholesale Accounts
9503 Middlex
San Antonio, TX 78217
PH 800-324-2359 / 210-820-8148
Fax 210-820-8102
www.eci.aero

I just boxed up and shipped all four of my Group B cylinders back to ECI today. At the risk of jinxing it (I don't have my new jugs yet!) I will say that the price I worked out with ECI to replace them is in line with the lower numbers mentioned in this thread. Much better than paying full price for four new ones, anyway.

mcb