RVG8tor

Well Known Member
Why use braided strap for bond between engine and airframe. I can't source the stuff locally and want to use welding wire. So what is the big benifit that makes the braided strap the avenue of choice. Could it just be the weight.

Cheere

Mike,

I used the same #2 welding wire as I used for the battery and starter runs.

Don

Hi Mike: Although I used the #2 ground strap from Van's, would probably use the #2 welding cable next time. It's inexpensive and according to Nuckolls super flexible and tough. Let us know what you come up with! Thanks...

I used the welding cable and the ground strap from the local NAPA store. You don't want a ground strap failure.

Map out what would happen if you hit the starter without the motor case grounded to the airframe / battery.

Cable goes from brass ground lug connected to firewall brace and batt post, to engine case. Strap goes from engine case (different location) to motor mount.

Last edited:
You don't want a ground strap failure.

Map out what would happen if you hit the starter without the motor case grounded to the airframe / battery.

For those of us that are not quite up to speed on the ways of the electron, I'll give you a hint - your throttle/prop/mixture cables will become very unhappy very quickly.