jasman45

Is there any product that can be attached to the ground side to dim lights? I have some lighted switches that recieve power from the positive side of the switch and then we have the grounds daisy chained together. I was thinking that I need to get a dimmer that allows me to control the flow of current on the ground wire.

A VAF person was selling a dimming module here a few years ago that worked the way you describe - a pulse width modulated switch to ground. I bought one and it's a nicely constructed unit.

I have searched for the posting and just can't seem to find it....:(

Thanks for checking Gil. I will keep looking. At least I know there is something out there that fits the bill.

PWM dimmers

The source for the PWM dimmers is www.brittaproducts.com or www.dc-dimmer.com. I don't think this is the one that can be connected to a common ground, though.

To dim a couple of led panel lights with a common ground to a single dimming level, I just wired a switch so that when the switch is off, the current flows across the switch pins via a resistor soldered across them. When the switch is on, full current can go through the switch. (current always flows whether the switch is on or off - more when on, less when off)

Thanks for checking Gil. I will keep looking. At least I know there is something out there that fits the bill.

This is the unit -

rv-dimmer.jpg

It came as a assembled PCB with a potentiometer/knob that included an on/off switch at the end of it's travel and the nice plastic case pictured.

I had to solder on the potentiometer, add the wires, drill the case and assemble - all quite easy.

It was bought here at VAF....

Last edited:
Gil,

Thanks for the positive review. That is the unit I was selling a while back. I am not selling any at the moment since I used up most of the boards I have and didn't see enough market to have another large group of boards made. I did save a number for support in case someone has a problem. If the Op is interested I still have a few leftovers assembled and ready to use (these come wired since they were intended for a different application). You would have to solder on new power and load leads - easy to do. PM me and we can work something out.

This is the unit -

rv-dimmer.jpg

It came as a assembled PCB with a potentiometer/knob that included an on/off switch at the end of it's travel and the nice plastic case pictured.

I had to solder on the potentiometer, add the wires, drill the case and assemble - all quite easy.

It was bought here at VAF....