BradC

What is the general consensus on using the lycoming and continental ground power unit engines as cores to build airworthy engines. Specifically I am looking at a continental O-470 that was used in a GPU or APU role for the duration of its life. I have the choice of several but I view them all as nothing more than good starting point cores. As well, I do recognize that I will be starting from scratch for accesories as it only comes with one mag, and a non-aircraft carburator. Also, I plan on going with a fixed pitch prop. The reason I am considering it is the price for the core, with a guarantee on the crankshaft, case and jugs is 1K. Any and all opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brad

ground power units O-470

Sensible plan is an old O-470 aero and your ground O-470. It won't build full certified and you should detail parts numbers. Green: ground units are often low time. Red: If you don't find the parts cheaply, you can be dragged over the coals. Be advised that the O-470 is a spectacular engine, but you'll need stewardesses when your plane's done.

O-470 is a great engine, but it's way to heavy an RV. I don't know if thats what your planning on using it on. Parts should be easy to find, if not exactly cheap. I don't know the details of the -470 GPU converstion, but the Lycoming O-290 coversion is pretty straight forward.