celstar

Well Known Member
I purchased a ground loop isolator for my connection of my garmin 796. I have the bare wires mount and just connected a 3.5mm jack to the left and right wires. It works great connected to the auxiliary in plug on my Bose headset until i turn on alternator and or strobes. So i purchased this ground loop isolator which did take care of all the noise but now makes the music sound like it is coming from a distant coffee can and very low volume comparatively. Has anyone used a isolator with better performance ?

Oh, I thought this was going to be something to keep people away while I landed my Husky.

Last edited:
No I have not....

Those are matched 600:600 ohm transformers so they will not convert the impedance so that part of the equation should have little effect.

They will however have some sort of dB loss when inserted in the line (make the volume lower). They may also affect the frequency response of the music (less range).

You need two because the stereo signal is two separate signals and you must have two of these transformers to pass both signals.

If you hook it up mono, then only one is required.

If you do not want to make your own, here is an off the self version:

Last edited:
No I have not....

Those are matched 600:600 ohm transformers so they will not convert the impedance so that part of the equation should have little effect.

They will however have some sort of dB loss when inserted in the line (make the volume lower). They may also affect the frequency response of the music (less range).

You need two because the stereo signal is two separate signals and you must have two of these transformers to pass both signals.

If you hook it up mono, then only one is required.

If you do not want to make your own, here is an off the self version:

Here is a link to the one that i have, like i said it does a great job of eliminating the noise but also the music.

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Peripheral-PGLI35-3.5mm-Ground-Loop-Isolator-PGLI35-SNI-1-3.5

David, your unit is designed for low impedance outputs (like 8 ohms). I would guess that your aircraft-spec 796 is designed for 600 ohms. If so, 8 ohms is nearly a short circuit which is why it doesn't work well. Try the 600 ohm unit.

David, your unit is designed for low impedance outputs (like 8 ohms). I would guess that your aircraft-spec 796 is designed for 600 ohms. If so, 8 ohms is nearly a short circuit which is why it doesn't work well. Try the 600 ohm unit.

Will do. Thanks'