N941WR

Legacy Member
I've recently exchanged a number of emails with Sensenich regarding their new ground adjustable prop.

They said that by SnF they hope to announce a version for the O-320, which will work with my O-290-D2. After that they will upsize it for the O-360.

This is a new style ground adjustable prop where you replace a "plug" which sets the blade angle. It does not rely on clamping force to hold the blades in place, like some old ground adjustable props do.

You want a climb prop, change the plug. You are taking a long trip, change the plug. The change is supposed to be easy to do.

The best part is it will use composite blades and will weigh in at 15 lbs max.

They are designing them with RV's in mind, so they should make a "plug" that will work with our fast planes.

What are your thoughts on this prop?

I'm thinking of replacing my Catto with one because Craig cut me a climb prop when I wanted a cruise prop and now wants me to buy a new one from him as he can't change the pitch.

Also, it will let me dial in the proper pitch for my engine/airframe combination rather than hoping Catto gets it right a second time.

Cost will probably be between $2,500 and $3,000.

Let's not turn this into a CS vs FP discussion, there are already enough threads on that topic. Just looking for info on GA Props.

Last edited:
Sounds great

That would be great news. Sens has a perfect reputation, adjustable would be a big plus for me and i would gladly pay a bit of a premium over the fixed. Now if Vans carried it, and gave the 1000 off engine/prop combo...would be great.
Looking forward to hearing more on it.

Hi Bill, very interesting.

I'm wondering which spinner/bulkhead it would use?

I have not purchased my prop yet, but I did buy the spinner/bulkhead for a Sensenich fixed pitch prop.

Cheers, Terry.

You aren't the only one waiting...

for a Sensenich ground adjustable composite prop, Bill. I have also been corresponding via e-mail with them. I am hopeful that they will have an 360 model available by the time I need it (2-3 years? world's slowest QB).

While I recognize and respect Larry A's position re CS props, the advantages are not worth $4 - 5K+ original purchase and the more expensive overhauls that go with the decision to me. Someone else's mileage may vary. We each build the plane we want.

If you are contemplating this prop in an initial build consider using the 320 engine mount and cowl with the 360 to avoid having too rearward a CG.

I figure any time I need the climb pitch, I will be light on fuel and planning to make an early fuel stop where I can reset the pitch.

Larry

for I figure any time I need the climb pitch, I will be light on fuel and planning to make an early fuel stop where I can reset the pitch.

Just wondering. Do you have to pull the spinner to change the plug?

L.Adamson

...If you are contemplating this prop in an initial build consider using the 320 engine mount and cowl with the 360 to avoid having too rearward a CG...
Good advice. Too late for me. I already have the 12” mount for the O-235 installed in my -9 and it works out great. Adding six extra 6 lbs on my nose will help a little but isn’t really a big deal for me as I have to have 100 lbs in back, and two 200+ passengers and burn down to 10 gallons before I run into an aft CG issue.

I'm wondering which spinner/bulkhead it would use?..
Terry, they offer a spinner for the smaller props, which might be worth the cost, $590. They will have to make one to fit the RV's, which I suspect they will do. If I buy their prop, it is either spend $160 for another spinner kit from Van's and fit it or buy one that already fits. I'll go with the factory spinner. You may be able to sell / return your spinner kit.

Just wondering. Do you have to pull the spinner to change the plug?
LA, I suspect you would have to pull the spinner to get to it. I don't really know the details yet but the Sensenich guy said it would only take a few minutes. Either way, it won't be as fast as pushing or pulling on that blue knob you have but then again, at 15 lbs, it might be a very good compromise. (Careful, I don't want to turn this thread into a CS vs FP discussion, there are enough of those already.)

Last edited:
The idea of having some kind of index system is great. I have a ground-adjust prop that lacks any kind of indexing system. Making prop adjustments is a PITA - you back off the bolts on the hub, level one prop blade, attach the prop protractor, tweak the blade, snug up the bolts slightly, move to the next blade, repeat. Snug up all hub bolts. Check blade pitch. If one is off, back off bolts and tweak again. Easily an hour task, better if you have two people and it helps to pull the plugs (in the Rotax) to help level the prop blades.

TODR

Bill,

I would welcome the opportunity to go to a GA prop. Price sounds very reasonable, and I like the weight difference vs. the metal FP that I now have. With an IO360 on my 9A, lightening up the nose would be very useful and it looks like about 25 pounds difference.

greg

For what it's worth, I saw a demo of the pitch-change-cartridge system in the Sensenich booth at Oshkosh last year... it's a pretty slick idea!

mcb

how much pitch change?

Sounds like a good idea, I have the standard Sens FP on my 0-360 -7 with the prop from Vans which I believe is 85 inch "cruise" pitch, I noticed on the sensenich site that they also have a climb version which is 83 inch pitch which I probably would have bought if I had known back then as here in Utah I prefer the climb performance over flat out speed (same on my Pacer). The ability to have both without too much complexity would be great.
I also have the rear cg issue on min fuel and have limited the baggage to 80 lbs for now but I am about to install a Mark Landoll harmonic balancer which will add about 15lbs to the nose so this will help the situation.
Timing for the 360 version??

180 HP version is a year out

FYI - Sensenich hopes to release the O-320 version this year. The version for the O-360 is still a year away.