pmccoy

Well Known Member
Starting to fill out my FAA paperwork, and am wondering about gross weight. Vans recommends a gross weight of 1750 lbs. for the RV9A. However, they also state it's up to the builder to determine their own gross weight. I see the RV7A is listed as 1,800 lbs.

Just wondering what others have listed for gross weight on the RV9A?

I see the RV7A is listed as 1,800 lbs.

Just wondering what others have listed for gross weight on the RV9A?

And the RV-10 gross weight is listed at 2700 lbs... It's a low wing airplane... it's also an RV

Gross weight isn't an arbitrary number. It is specifically related to the engineering and design of the airplane.

Some choose to use a higher # anyway.

In reality, it doesn't matter what # anyone else has used.
During phase 1 you should do testing that establishes performance #'s for your airplane, at gross weight (and your completion of phase 1 log book entry is required to have performance #'s entered based on your max gross weight testing).
So, at the very least, be prepared to flight test it at what ever weight you specify.

I would disagree with the above advice, somewhat. Van's has presumably tested and/or calculated that the wing can hold up 3.8 times Vans' published gross weight without damage; and can hold up 50% more than that, possibly with permanent deformation but without failure.
I seriously doubt most homebuilders will do that sort of testing; nor will most have the ability to calculate the results, at higher loads.

I would disagree with the above advice, somewhat. Van's has presumably tested and/or calculated that the wing can hold up 3.8 times Vans' published gross weight without damage; and can hold up 50% more than that, possibly with permanent deformation but without failure.
I seriously doubt most homebuilders will do that sort of testing; nor will most have the ability to calculate the results, at higher loads.

Bob, I think you missunderstood.
I didn't say test at max. load factor, I said test at specified gross weight.
Also, this is not my advice or opinion... It is technically required by the operating limitations issued for an E-AB aircraft

All I meant was that the builder who choses to increase gross weight beyond Vans recommendation is dealing with the unknown as far as what load factors can be safely tolerated.

per vans

Bob:

to your original question- I listed 1750, per Vans (preview plans & website specs) as my gross.

I do intend to use that weight at relevant times in my flight testing- bags of gravel are my current plan to simulate pax & baggage area loads.