pczar3

Well Known Member
Patron
I purchased Infinity Stick Grips for my RV-6A and am at the point I need to wire them. So here's my question. Do you use the grip the fits your left hand for the pilots side so you can use the throttle with the right hand? It seems pretty uncomfortable if you used the right handed grip on the Pilot side because you would not really be gripping the stick correctly on landing for example. I don't want to start another war about wood vs. bicycle vs. infinities. I already have the grips, I just am taking the temperature of the experienced guys and gals out there.
Thanks Paul

I have a simple stick but fly with my left hand in my 6A (throttle in center panel area). I am right handed.

Sit down with both and see which feels the best.

O-360 minimum engine. CS prop is mo better. Steam gauges work as well as glass.

Yes, you use the grip that fits your left hand on the left side.

That is unless you mount your throttle on the left side because you want to fly with your right hand.

This is why I chose the Tosten grips, after much deliberation. Right now I only have a center throttle, but if I add a left-hand throttle in the future, I can switch hands and still be comfortable on the stick.

Infinity Grip mounting angle offset.

Everything above. Also, check previous threads about setting the angel to match your arm and wrist angle when you are sitting in the seat. If you mount the grip straight or parallel to the centerline, your wrist will have an un-natural bend in it when you hold on to the grip. Not very comfortable on long trips and not very natural feeling. I rotated the grip about 10 to 12 degrees on the pilot side and about 15 degrees on the copilot side. Your rotation offset will be custom to fit your wrist position.

I do not know exactly what Paul is referring to since my stick is not a fancy one,. However, I fly with my hand on my left leg in case that impacts how you mount it.

The Infinity grips are formed to fit your hand and your hand/arm/wrist will be approaching the grip from the side, not the center. It works best to make the grip attach to the stick at the same angle that your arm approached the stick or whatever is comfortable for you. Try it once: hold your hand in front of you as if you are holding onto the stick. Now compair the difference between your arm and the centerline of the aircraft. If you install the grip parallel to this centerline, your wrist is going to have to bend in order for your hand to fit the preformed grip. Not good. Play with it before you drill the big hole and cut the slot in the top of the stick. Find what works for you.

Hope that helps

Thanks everyone

I have it set up with the slight 10 -12 degree angle but wanted to check one last time before I made it permanent. Thanks for all the responses.
Paul