Coinneach

Well Known Member
Met Scott (N339A) at FTG this morning. That's one gorgeous airplane; it's obvious that he took a great deal of care in its planning and construction.

The Warrior that I fly now is a ground-lover. It's slow to get rolling and slow to reach rotation and Vx. Once it's off the ground, it flies OK. Scott's -9A, though... oh my. Even at 5500MSL and 72F, it gave me that funny tug in the pit of my stomach. We were off the ground and up to pattern altitude by midfield.

Once we were clear of FTG's airspace, Scott turned the controls over to me. Being used to Skyhawks and Cherokees, I overcontrolled quite a bit at first. Eventually I started to get the feel: think about it, and the airplane does it. Once I realized how to talk to the airplane, the grin started.

We made some turns, a few stalls (which I botched pretty badly, nosing over way too fast), straight/level, and climbs/descents. Scott demonstrated some of the GPS 496's features (98NM to Goodland, ETE 35 minutes? I LOLed) and the Digitrak AP. Sweeeet.

As we were coming down final to 26, a departing biplane gave us a wave. The landing itself was a complete non-event, just a squeak and hold the nose off.

Total time: 1:04. And oh yeah, I've got the grin.

Welcome!!

Glad to have you in the flock.

Looking at your build site, seems like you are just getting your feet wet. Dive right in and enjoy it.

Mike S said:
Glad to have you in the flock.

Looking at your build site, seems like you are just getting your feet wet. Dive right in and enjoy it.

Can't just yet. I live in an apartment, job ends next month, and I'm moving to Phoenix in October. I'm not inclined to start spending real money until I have a place to build and a secure job.

Coinneach said:
I'm not inclined to start spending real money until I have a place to build and a secure job.

That is not the American way!!!

But it is the smart way. Good for you.

Good Time

I always enjoy giving rides in the 9 when I have time. Today was a ride-giving day for me. I did my first unofficial Young Eagle ride (with a 10 year old)after Coinneach and I got done. I flew down to Meadow Lake and met up with my good friend who was giving a ride to a prospective Air Force cadet, and I gave his younger brother a ride in the 9. He had a blast and did pretty well flying the plane. No stalls for him, though :cool:

Coinneach you should do fine once you get started on your project. Finish up your PPL and then "Come Fly With Me."

339A said:
Coinneach you should do fine once you get started on your project. Finish up your PPL and then "Come Fly With Me."

LOLz. Yeah, I'll bring Cherokee 399 over there for some formation flying. I'll be firewalled and you'll be at idle while we're at the same speed, and we'll confuse the tower with our call signs. :D