Hello fellows builders
About to install a Gretz heated pitot just to discover that the upper wing skin should not be riveted to do that job ! too bad too late !
Here is a photo of my "plan B" for an other location of the pitot tube
2w6du76.jpg

but questions arise
1 should i reinforce the access panel to support the device
2 Is this location acceptable as airflow is concerned (located just a few inches away from the original Van's pitot )
Advices welcomed
Hugues

I have retrofitted this mount in an existing wing and it really was not difficult. Something you may want to consider is that the pictured placement is right next to the tiedown ring mount and the ropes used to tie down could interfere with the pitot.

The location is fine from an aerodynamic point of view, as pitot tubes are not at all sensitive to location. You just need to be sure they are far enough away from the skin to be well clear of the boundary layer, not in the prop wash, and roughly aligned with with local airflow (up to 15 degrees of misalignment is probably OK - accuracy may be affected if the misalignment is more than 15 degrees).

Personally, I'd be nervous if the cover was not reinforced, but service history from other builders may suggest you are OK.

As mentioned above, the proximity to the tie down is a concern. Tie down points on the ground are usually further apart than the tie down locations on the wing, so the rope angles outward and it may be close to the pitot tube location if you put it there.

Pitot tube

It looks like you installed the fitting for the standard pitot. Why don't you just use that one, and sell the heated pitot?

I have never understood why so many RVers install heated pitot in their planes. Heated pitot is not required for IFR. :eek: The heated systems have problems with accuracy, where Vans tube is usually right on!

The loss of pitot because of being blocked with ice will be the least of your problems! Many of us have flown our RV's with the pitot cover left on and the landing to remove it was a non event!

Why not install leading edge boots for the wings and tail, alt static, windshield defog/deice, prop anti ice system etc. If you need pitot heat, don't you need the others as well?