dabney

Well Known Member
Friend
When I bought my slightly used RV12 a couple years back the first thing I changed was moving the elevator trim from the panel to the stick. I had Tosten stick grips in another plane and loved them so I installed the Tosten CS-6 stick with the Tosten relay deck. After 150 hours + in use the elevator trim stopped working. I did my best at troubleshooting Checking the connections, power, ground and so forth without any success . I contacted Kevin at Tosten and discussed problem with him. He gave me advice on a few other wiring checks I had not done but offered to send me another relay deck. Simultaneously, I called Ray Allen and talked to Gary about the trim motor in the tail. Luckily, he not only knows his products but he owns an RV12. I had the upper and lower tail cone already removed so while I was on the phone with him he coached me on how to verify trim motor was working and stayed on the phone with me while I completed a couple tests and sure enough the trim motor was not the problem. He suspected a “short” between the relay deck and the trim motor. I finally found the short and I’m back flying.

I know to RV builders this would probably be an easy job, but as a non builder without Gary and Kevin taking their time to give me some “training” I would have been off to an avionics shop for who knows how long and how much $.

So a big thanks to them and their line of products