smokyray

Well Known Member
Gentlemen,

I have been helping a friend purchase an RV4 and attempting to do the many duties required from a great distance with minimal time, the story of my life: standard! He lives in NM, I live in FL and the RV4 is in LA. How do I orchestrate getting him checked out, familiar with the RV community and ready to receive his new dream machine and fly it when I arrive with no time to spare?

Enter one each Larry Pardue!

I sent Larry a PM asking him if it was even possible to travel to Las Cruces some weekend and fly with my buddy (a one star General), show him the ropes and leave a good impression of the RV community. His response was "no worries", and don't worry about expenses, just lunch will do!" Larry contacted him, traveled to Las Cruces and allowed him to fly in his RV-6, Wow!
My friend's report afterward was simple: "What a great guy Larry is, really showed me what a great community you have!"
Questions?

Where do we find such men?
Heartfelt thanks from me to you sir!

Smokey
HR2

Last edited:
You know, it's very interesting the way RV owners are so different. My wife and I visited 52F last summer and Doug and Danny fell all over themselves to make us feel welcome. They offered rides in their RVs and we took them up on it. No payment for fuel; nothing!!!! Just super dooper men. Most all RV owners are that way. I do know of a couple of local owners that don't want you any where near their airplanes though. I asked for a ride once in a local owners RV4; no luck. His excuse was that he needed to get home and promised a ride in a week or two when we would be at the same function. He avoided me like I had the flu, so I never mentioned it. His behavior was odd in this regard because he has a friend that also owns a RV4 that acted the same way. I've overheard several others inquire about a ride and they both make up an excuse not to take a passenger. It may have something to do with liabilty....I'm not sure. BUT, to each his own, they have their reasons and the airplanes belong to them. I'm very grateful that the majority of the RV community is very generous. That's what RV flying is all about. I wish I had a dollar for every free ride I've given to non-pilots since 1981. The RV community owes a lot to the generousity of folks like Doug, Danny, Larry, Joel Harding, Lee Wofran, Loyd Remus, James Clark, Sam Buchanon, Bob Willis and on and on and on. Thanks fellows!!!!!

I've met a few of you guys from Ontario, at an annual BBQ on a friend's grass strip in Southern Ontario. Even tho you may not remember me, I sure remember the hospitality I received. And because of the impression you made on a young mind, here I am finally building one of my own, and look forward to parking next to you guys across from the pink hanger at Bush hawk!
I'm building a 4 for the sole reason that I can share it with people. I plan on being involved with the young eagles program, and taking up people that show an interest.
And, best thing is, unlike the back of my bike which is a no man zone, I can give buddies rides in this toy!

Great people!

I am the fellow of whom Smoky speaks, and he speks truth. I cannot thank Larry enough. It truly was beyond the call, and I scared him a couple times to boot!
This stuff is catching as I will certainly pay the system back when the opportunity comes around. I cannot say how or when it will happen, but I will be ready, willing and able.
hack

smokyray

It's people like you that keep me pounding rivits.....(RV4 slow build ,older kit)
where abouts in florida are you? I have a son and family in Gainesville,friends
in Jacksonville, sister in Spring Hill ..........Tom

Paying it forward has its rewards, too!

Now that I have moved beyond phase 1 in my -8, I have taken some people up with me. Throughout the 9 year build of my plane, there has been a little lady at my church who has been my biggest cheerleader. She has been hinting lately that I had better hurry up because there isn't much more sand left in her hourglass...
Sunday was gorgeous. I asked Miss Rainey in church if she was prepared to fly...you would have thought that I had given her the winning ticket to the lottery! After church, we "loaded" her into the -8...that took some effort. The flight went well, and she had a fresh bounce in her step afterwards. Our conversation while flying was very interesting. 85 years brings much wisdom...I think that I gained the most from the flight. For that hour, my -8 became a true "time machine".

RV-4 & Passengers

I do know of a couple of local owners that don't want you any where near their airplanes though. I asked for a ride once in a local owners RV4; no luck. His excuse was that he needed to get home and promised a ride in a week or two when we would be at the same function. He avoided me like I had the flu, so I never mentioned it. His behavior was odd in this regard because he has a friend that also owns a RV4 that acted the same way. I've overheard several others inquire about a ride and they both make up an excuse not to take a passenger. It may have something to do with liabilty....I'm not sure.

I read an article in Kit Planes by test pilot Chuck Berthe back in 1993 or 94 and got hooked on the RV-4. I ended up with a wonderful one in early 95 and put 1440 hours on it. I have another one now.

I carried passengers; but will tell you, it does affect the flight characteristics of the -4. Remember it is a tandem, not side by side. The largest passenger I ever carried was a fellow 6'2" tall and a good 240 lbs. He did have large legs and it seems his weight was forward of his rearend. I mention that because of the following: Have a married friend who bought a -4 because I had one. We and other RVers would fly somewhere for Sunday breakfeasts. He got to where he would pawn off his wife for me to haul. She was a solid woman about 5'7" and around 180 lbs I'd say. The first time I took off with her, I thought I was going to crash....I thought I was carrying a Caterpillar D-8. I had to use full forward trim and constant forward pressure on the stick. Seems all her weight was in her butt and the moment arm threw the balance all out of whack. The 240 lb man did not cause near the problem. We had a retired Air Force test pilot with us (who had flown every C-5 in the Air Force inventory and now flew a Kitfox he built and loved :confused:) and I discussed the problem with him. He understood and said her weight is farther aft and just keep the forward trim in.... I flew back with her; but at least I was mentally ready for the experience.

I will tell you all that the experience really scared me. I told my friend, "she's your wife, you haul her." She is a very sweet person....but she is not a good paggenger candidate for an RV-4. The Air Force test pilot weighed about the same as this woman; but his weight did not affect the handling as much as she did.

In defense of the -4 owners not wanting to take someone for a ride, I have to say, I'm not wild about it either. In fact, in early 2005, I took out the back seat and stick in mine just so I would not have to carry anyone. Part of it is that I regularly make a 380 nm commute in it and I can put my kit back there. But, it also provided me an excuse to not carry someone and have them think I just didn't want to take them for a spin. If I took someone up, I learned to look at their physical build. If they were top heavy and the bulk of their weight would be farther back....I'd come up with all sorts of excuses to keep from going up. I'm serious. The RV-4 is a two place airplane; but the cold hard bloody facts are, putting someone in that back seat will definitely make it handle differently.

I hope you do not think ill of me. I like taking folks for a ride and sharing the experience. I would like to have a -6 or -7 just so I would not have the weight & balance problem. But I only have so much dinero folks and I love my -4. So, I'm just suggesting a similar thought may be going through those other 4 owners mind. I understand the -8 handles a rear load better.

Cheers to all,

Deal Fair

re: 150

I too enjoy sharing the experience of flight with others. I jump at every opportunity to take someone for a ride, even it's only in the 150. For the most part, the non-flying community in general doesn't know the difference between a 150 and an RV9A. I take which ever one is easiest to get out of the hangar at the time.:)

This is another good chance to throw in the "take a reporter" flying gig.:) Keep that education going.

I never thought about the w/b of the -4, but certainly can see how a passenger in the back would make a difference now. Good explaination Deal.

Marshall Alexander