RV7Ron

Well Known Member
Before I started building my airplane, I heard many stories of the legendary flying characteristics of the RV series. Because these stories were so widespread, you just kinda had to believe it to be true. In fact, based on this I decided on Van's aircraft before I had ever flown one. But, when I finally was able to get my hands on the stick of an RV8A, words and descriptions couldnt do it justice...it was pure heaven, a delight to fly! I certainly had the RV grin and was hooked.

Well, the same thing goes for the stories I heard of the great people associated with experimental aircraft and more specifically the RV builder community. I am still pretty new to this wonderful world of RV's, but I have already experienced great warmth and friendship from everyone I have encountered along the way. The stories, once again, really dont do it justice.

Last night was another example. My girlfirend Samira and I, along with another brand new RV8 builder (Bryan Raley), were invited over to visit Mr. Bob Markert's RV8 project. Bob and his wonderful building partner and wife Mary treated us like old friends, even serving us strawberry shortcake! Bob was even kind enough to give my girlfriend a quick riveting lesson. As Bob was quick to point out, we already 'know' each other because we are 'RV' people. That pretty much sums it up, and is the general feel I get from everyone involved in this great passion for aviation and homebuilding. From local RV8 pilot John Loretz, whom I had never met, offering me a free ride (and refusing to take payment for avgas!) a couple months ago and now continuing with Bob and his wife graciously opening their home to us as old friends. I was really taken aback by all of Bob's offers to use his tools and jigs once he was finished with them. It is so refreshing to see this small group of people that still show the qualities that make America great. I feel very fortunate to live in a country where I have the freedom to be part of this great 'hobby'. I also thank Bob, who is an ex F-15 driver, for giving us that right and protecting this great country with his service.

Now for the details of Bob's project. Bob is working on his wings right now, and is just about to start sealing his fuel tanks. He is doing a few modifications at this stage, including a flop tube for inverted fuel (combined with the Christian inverted oil system) and extended range fuel tanks that will add 9 gallons to his fuel carrying capacity. These ER tanks are manufactured by a company called 'Hotel Whiskey'. These are all options I am considering for my project so I had a keen interest in talking with him about the details of each mod. Since this was the first time I had seen a project in progress other than pictures, it was very fascinating. For starters, Bob has a real nice shop setup in a three car garage. I was also a little taken aback by how big the wings look in the garage, and in comparison to the empannage. When you fly in an RV, the 'hershey bar' wings looks short and stubby...but seem much bigger when they are in a garage and not attached to the fuselage. I was also stuck by the magnitude of the work I have ahead of me, I now know the empennage is peanuts compared to the wings. There looks to be a lot more things to contend with on the wing construction, even a little intimidating. I did envy Bob's position though, although I am enjoying the building process, I cant say I wouldnt mind being at his stage in the project. Soon enough, for now, its the Vertical Stabilizer...followed by the rudder...elevators...trim tab....and on and on. Before I know it, like a child growing up too fast, it'll be over as quick as it began. I shall savor the moments.... :)

Yes, you definitely will...

...... Before I know it, like a child growing up too fast, it'll be over as quick as it began. I shall savor the moments.... :)

....indeed savor those moments, Ron.

A friend of mine is building his fourth airplane...an RV-3. He's built a -6, then an -8 and a Zenith 701 for low and slow.

He just does what he can every day that he is able and says that when it's done, it's done...no time frame projected, nor expense calculated. He simply loves building and quickly said so when I reminded him that there are QB wings available for it..."Uh-uh, I enjoy building too much". His one-day-at-a-time philosophy shows a relaxed, non-rushed agenda and always the pure joy of building for this near 50 year old with college kids and his office-supply business to run....the airplane goes together one day at a time.....a great, relaxed, no rush approach.

Have fun,

Last edited by a moderator:
re: wings

Actually, the wings will go much faster than you think.:) I'd say it probably took close to the same amount of time to build my wings as it did for the tail section for my RV10. The wings tend to get real BIG really fast. Then they get small again when you take them apart to debur & dimple.:D
After all, it's just for fun anyway so enjoy the building.

I'd be lying if I said I don't "have it made". I live on a private airport with my 60' X 72' hanger 20' from my garage. I built a 16' X 32', climate controlled room inside the hanger. I have a garage door on the end of the room that opens up into the hanger. The air compressor (6 hp, 60 gal) is in the hanger on the opposite side as my room. (I don't have to listen to it). Air is piped into the room. I have 3 8' high output fluorscent lights, so I have plenty of light.:) My wife has NEVER complained about me spending time in "my room" since I started on the -10 in 2003. Even though, I don't get things done around the house as quick as she'd like, she, or the kids, for that matter, don't complain. Often times, well, maybe not often but sometimes, they'll come out and just sit and talk and watch for a while, or help, if I ask.

Anyway, you'll have fun and meet a lot of "interesting" people along the way. Just don't get in any hurry and things will happen quicker than you think and you'll be flying.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM
fuse/wiring

I have had the same experience with these great people. Not only do they offer any and all encouragement I could ever ask for but one gentleman GAVE ME his preview plans for a -7 I want to build (he decided on a -9) and also refused to let me pay for shipping from Washington. I don't even own a single rivet for the -7 yet but I am 60% of the way through reading that book end to end. Yes it is going to be a lot of work, yes it will take me a while to finish it, but it will be my own plane...I will know every square inch of it...and I am SURE I will have a thousand questions along the way and I am also SURE the VAF will be there to lend a hand! :D