pierre smith

Well Known Member
I have to credit Aerotronics for this piece of news in their newsletter:

GAMA, the industry organization that represents manufactured, certified aircraft, reports that only 965 piston-powered aircraft were sold in 2009. Worldwide! Down 55%! And that is big news to the mainstream aviation press.

At Dynon, we have a different take on the story. For the first time ever, experimental aircraft registrations exceeded certified aircraft! In the U.S. alone, 1032 experimental, amateur built, piston powered aircraft were given airworthiness certificates. You guys are building more planes than certified manufacturers! Well done you builders!

Of course, we're happy because that means that Dynon is the largest supplier of glass panels to piston-powered aircraft in the world. And we just keep growing and hiring people, helping the U.S. economy by adding jobs.

So congratulations builders. YOU are the US Aviation Industry!
Dynon Avionics

Best,

Wow!

Pierre,
That is one cool statistic!! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to tell the guys at work who think I'm crazy...:D

Anyone know how many of those 1032 were RV's? Bet is was a bunch.

Bob Kelly

I know that between Dec 10, 2008 and Feb 12, 2010 (14 months) Van has had 638 first flights. My rough estimate (knocking off 2 months from the above total, and guessing that at least 90% of the first flights were in the U.S.) is that about half of those 1032 were RVs.

Dynon

I am one of the guilty. Flying behind a Dynon 180. I did not tell Vans either, but they new I was flying, grapevine I suppose. I'll send Vans a finished pic when paint is complete. God I hate fiberglass!!