ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
Many of you may have seen this before but I have not. We were down at Red Bull in San Diego and above were five planes flying in formation letting out smoke dashes. It had to all be preprogrammed but you could eaily read the words. I thought this was a great invention. Someone really thought about that. I expect to see this much more.
Five planes would fly side by side, anyone know what type of planes they are?

199816833-L.jpg

Found their website. Skytypers

http://www.skytypers.com/

Looks like they have job openings for you guys down around Chino and Las Vegas.

Also, it is not new technology, their website says the first skytypers were around 1946, well in all the airshows and fly-in's I have attended I have never seen this.

Last edited:
I confess that I've delved far enough into Dan Checkoway's site to know that, at least at one time, he was flying for skytypers.

I've never seen them at an airshow or anything either. Very cool though.

Hummm...

My mind starts to wander. Five planes, you get white dots that spell words in the sky.

If you add 10 more planes you could do it in color (red, green, blue). At 10,000 ft it should blend in to get multicolor effects. The only thing that would need to be worked out would be the effects of the blue background.

Hey, wait a minute. Add enough planes and we could create colored pictures in the sky!

I could paint a picture of my plane flying.:D

Would that be cool, my RV9A just floating there at 10,000 ft and 8 miles long.

Now that should scare someone flying along at 9000 ft.

I better get back to work before someone misses me.;)

Kent