Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
For those who’d like an example of the traveling capability of the RV, take a look at our return trip from Southern California to Houston (TX) yesterday. The lousy weather across Texas on Saturday was replaced with clear and a million for the entire route on Sunday. Winds aloft forecasts were optimistic (overly optimistic as it turned out) for tail (or neutral) winds across the route. Weathermeister called for a 6:30 trip without stops, but we’d be losing 2 hours on the clock due to time zone changes, and at least 30 minutes per fuel stop, so we got up early for a sunrise departure to make it home for dinner. We’d be crossing great gobs of the United States – the great southwest desert and all of West Texas – miles and miles of, well…miles and miles…..

We lifted off just as the sun peeked above the mountains to the east – the early morning haze in the desert creating a surrealistic landscape of shadows and ridges disappearing into the low ball of the solar orb. Louise was flying the first leg – I had flown the last leg in to Big Bear a week ago, so it was her turn. (I also didn’t mind catching a little more sleep while it was smooth and cool, and the back seat was an easy place to snooze….)

Lift-off and Sunrise!
IMG_7608.JPG

Our plan was to go as far as reasonable on the first leg, flying high to catch the minimal tailwinds. A good line to Houston that avoids the Restricted Areas of New Mexico crosses Casa Grande (south of Phoenix), Deming, El Paso, Pecos, and some good airports in the Hill Country. We set up the route in the Garmin to cover these points, and watched the fuel predictions for each checkpoint on the EFIS as the flight developed. Deming was an easy reach, and the default first stop. Just short of El Paso, the nominal halfway point, it is easy to get in and out of, and the fuel is usually reasonable. This day, however, it looked like we’d only be just a little below half tanks when we got there, so we played on to Pecos, a little more than an additional hour away. That put us well over halfway on the first leg, and we pumped in 31 gallons of 100LL when we got there. With our fuel burn at 13.5K of about 6.8, we had plenty of gas and reserves – and with VFR weather in all directions, it was nice to have most of the trip behind us at the break.

Pecos is always a great fuel stop, not only because their fuel price is competitive (not always the lowest, yet in the ballpark), but they give a discount for cash and they have free sodas, water, and burritos (Not frozen, “heat-em-up” burritos, but hand-made, barbecue rolled up in a soft tortilla burritos! Try the “Hot” sauce if you dare….)! Louise had stretched her leg to 4:30 to make Pecos, so we took a little extra time to unwind, enjoy lunch, and catch our breath before the “short” leg home. “Short” in this case is 447 miles with predicted tailwinds. See how your perspective changes with an RV?

Fueled and filled, we launched into the gusty surface wind and pointed the nose towards home, climbing for the smooth air. The bumps continued up through 9,000’, so I made 11.5K our final and watched the tailwinds grow as predicted. The visibility was a good hundred miles – superb for Texas, but lousy compared to what we’d had in SOCAL the past week (It’s amazing how quickly you can get used to an unusual condition). I looked ahead to Austin while we were still west of Fredericksburg, and as soon as we passed over the capitol city, I had the power plant at Industry on the nose and the Katy freeway on the west side of Houston in clear view. Coming in to Houston VFR from the west, I usually aim for 3,000’ at BEZLE intersection, which keeps us clear of Sugarland’s tower-controlled airspace and sets us up to duck under the Class B for the last few minutes to home. With the vertical capability of the Tru Trak and the GRT, I can dial in a target altitude and descent rate until the little green “altitude arc” is right where I want to be (geographically) when I hit the altitude, and then just control the throttle to keep the power under 75%. Of course, I still back that up with mental math, but it’s fun to watch it fly!

The previous day’s storm had just barely cleared the area, and the surface winds were howling – 290 @ 21G34 at the AWOS about 3 miles from our home field. Fortunately, our runway is oriented 29-11, so I hovered to a stop with the wind in my face, and the trip was over at 1630 local time with an additional 7 hours on the Valkyrie’s engine and airframe. This time, Louise got more hours than I did, but I had the tailwinds (240 knots ground speed on descent!) to make up for it.

Wonderful traveling machines, these RV’s. We did a little mental math and figured that if we’d had to drive down out of big Bear to Ontario to catch a Southwest flight, add in the inevitable transfer, and consider check time plus the drive home, we wouldn’t have gotten in much (if any) sooner. And, of course, the East Coast is much closer to Houston than the West (although I can’t figure out why I’d want to go that direction, except for business…). The RV gives a whole new meaning to the word “Cross-Country”, doesn’t it?

Paul

Last edited:
Nice write-up, Paul. As Yoda would say, "Great traveling machines these RV's are!" Reading reports like yours motiviates me to pound some more rivets.
BTW, you didn't have to tell us Louise was flying in the photo. Her hair color and hair style are both different from yours!;)

HOT???

Not frozen, ?heat-em-up? burritos, but hand-made, barbecue rolled up in a soft tortilla burritos! Try the ?Hot? sauce if you dare?.)!

You just put Pecos on my list just for that!
or- this is what happens when reading an Ironflight trip(with food!) close to lunch time :eek:

Great Trip Report

Paul,
Is that Sikaflex I see in Valkyrie's canopy? Did you bond the canopy, or insert the Sikaflex after riveting the canopy on like I did?

Paul,
Is that Sikaflex I see in Valkyrie's canopy? Did you bond the canopy, or insert the Sikaflex after riveting the canopy on like I did?

I did just like you taught me Danny - the canopy is riveted with a Sikaflex bead inserted (afterwards) to distribute the loads. Belt and suspenders.

Paul

Last edited:
Cross Country

Paul you inspire me! We are planning a "little cross country" from here in Oregon to Nashville next month for a class my wife is taking. It will be our first such venture with the 9A, but I am convinced it is a good ship for the trip. Now to change the mineral oil for 100W and get her ready to launch...
"Great cross country machines, these RV's are."
Jim

Sounds like a great trip Jim - we did Houston to Oregon last fall in the -6, and it was a very enjoyable way to see the country!

Ignition system

Paul,

With the extensive amount of cross country flying (literally) that you do, what have you configured for your RV-8's ignition system? Why did you make the choice that you did? Please comment on your ignition system's performance and reliability?

Thanx.

Victor Stahl
RV-7A
N508V
Houston: IWS
:eek:

With the extensive amount of cross country flying (literally) that you do, what have you configured for your RV-8's ignition system? Why did you make the choice that you did? Please comment on your ignition system's performance and reliability?
Victor,

The Val is flying with two traditional magnetos. Now before the EI crowd jumps in to rally round their favorite gizmos, let me say that I am always open to evaluating the latest technology for performance and reliability. When I made the choices for the Val about five years ago, I was not yet satisfied with the reliability of the available EI systems - although some were close, and some were promising. Mags are very reliable, time-proven technology that are easy to maintain and pretty darn simple. I have been able to consistently run LOP at cruise power, have great starts, clean plugs, and overall smooth operation. the engine is dirt simple with a Carb and Mags, wit little that can go wrong if maintained properly.

Now all that said, here comes the RV-3 project. The engine is a ways off yet, but I will again evaluate the available technologies for Reward/Risk. I'll be looking at Fuel injection as well as EI, and will decide on what is appropriate at the time. If I find that I am very happy with any of the new technologies will I go back and retrofit the Val? It's possible, but I would have to weigh the many costs associated with the retrofit before deciding. No decision happens in a vacuum, so I'd have to take a lot of things in to consideration.

Right now, I have nothing driving me to change, so I won't. But the future is over the next hill, and we'll decide when we get there.

Paul

Last edited:
Paul ...

....s-u-r-e knows how to inspire those of us still pounding rivets and wrestling with Adels. Thanks much a needed dose of motivation! :D

Ignition system

Paul,

Thank you for the reply... The strategy behind my 7A configuration was similar... simple, using reliable technology. I have been flying behind a carbureted engine with a fixed pitch prop using 1 mag and 1 Lightspeed ignition for nearly 4 years and the ignition system has not missed a beat. I am very pleased with my configuration.

Good luck with your current project.

Thanx again,

Victor Stahl
:)