szicree

Well Known Member
I recently took the advice of some folks on here and built myself a fresh air respirator from a $30 bathroom fan and some 1/4 inch plywood. I originally planned on adapting my filter-type mask, but was hoping for something better when I stumbled onto these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...Sell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

I ordered it on sunday and received it today. It's used but in absolutely great condition. It came with a really nice hose already attached and is a STEAL at the $16 (shipped) that I paid. My entire respirator system with this cool mask cost me less than 60 bucks total and works great. He has a bunch of these masks, so if you want to make your own system you should jump on this deal.

what size?

szicree said:
I recently took the advice of some folks on here and built myself a fresh air respirator from a $30 bathroom fan and some 1/4 inch plywood. I originally planned on adapting my filter-type mask, but was hoping for something better when I stumbled onto these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...Sell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

I ordered it on sunday and received it today. It's used but in absolutely great condition. It came with a really nice hose already attached and is a STEAL at the $16 (shipped) that I paid. My entire respirator system with this cool mask cost me less than 60 bucks total and works great. He has a bunch of these masks, so if you want to make your own system you should jump on this deal.

Sounds like a good deal. What size did you get? I see he's got small, medium & large. I think I have a medium sized head, though my wife might argue otherwise...

I got a medium. I'm 6', 175. I'd say my noggin is about average, kinda long narrow face. I figure the small is for females or people with little heads, and the large is for bubbas. In any case the medium fits me great. This is the best bargain I've ever bought.

P.S. Here's a pic of my old Bronco.

broncomh5.jpg

Last edited:
respirator on ebay

Thanks for the tip!! Just got one too. ;)
Wouldn't it be nice to put a fresh air tank on this?
Jim
7A - fuse

Thanks for the link Steve! Just ordered two. Getting VERY close to painting the Cozy MKIV and the RV-10 will be delivered this Monday. WaaaaHoooo!

szicree said:
I got a medium. I'm 6', 175. I'd say my noggin is about average, kinda long narrow face. I figure the small is for females or people with little heads, and the large is for bubbas. In any case the medium fits me great. This is the best bargain I've ever bought.

P.S. Here's a pic of my old Bronco.

Thanks for the advice, just bought one myself.

Here are a couple of pics of my Bronco.

img0722ur5.jpg

img0725nv8.jpg

setup pictures

I haven't heard of using the bathroom fan for a respirator supply. Can you post any details concerning the construction, including size of fan, and maybe some pictures? Sounds like a great idea!

thanks,
TimRibble

trib said:
I haven't heard of using the bathroom fan for a respirator supply. Can you post any details concerning the construction, including size of fan, and maybe some pictures? Sounds like a great idea!

thanks,
TimRibble

I'm guessing that Steve used the description on this page as the basis for his design.

home made respirator

trib said:

thanks,
TimRibble

I have seen photos on someones site, but can't remember who's.
IT was a plywood box with a small 70 cfm bathroom exhaust fan installed in it.
I think they used 2 inch tubing from the box to the mask.
It seems to me that the box should be placed outdoors away from any over spray, but if the run is to long you will need more power.
This weekend I plan on experimenting with a shop vac to supply fresh air to the mask. useing a shop vac connected to the exhast side might let us use smaller less cumbersome hose to the mask.

Jim getting ready to paint 7a fuse. interior
Edit - Lars already posted pictures. This is not the one I saw, but this is much nicer.

Last edited:
I built mine according to the site in the above post. I used 1/4 inch plywood instead of aluminum, but otherwise the same. The hose is 1.125 or 1.25 sump hose from depot and cost 7 bucks. Now that I scored this great mask and rubber hose to go with it I couldn't be happier. Regarding a shop vac, I think you might actually end up with too much power and perhaps heating issues. I think also that the motors can produce ozone, but I don't know the details. Hopefully somebody more knowledgable will chime in.