Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
I haven't packed bearings since I was in high school, but I do remember how to do it. Except...on the nose wheel, the bearings have a rubber "built-in dust shield". Ummmmm....what the heck do you do with that? The way I was taught to pack bearings, you "smush" it from the large end, through the races, and out the small end. This rubber dohickey prevents that.

Is it removable? What the...? :)

TIA...

You can still "palm" the grease through the small end to the larger end. Lift the rubber to ensure the grease is oozing through. Or get a bearing packer. They're not very expensive. Then just force the grease through with a grease gun.

Roberta

Fair enough...what about solvents and their effect on the rubber? It's recommended that the bearings be cleaned prior to first packing (and I've always been taught to clean them when *re*-packing, too)...which solvent or cleaner is okay and won't harm this rubber seal?

Odd thingie...guess my limited auto repair skills from 30 years ago aren't quite good enough anymore LOL!

I used mineral spirits to clean the bearings followed by a hot water flush. Never had a problem with the seal degrading doing it this way. Blow dry them, but do not spin the bearings when blowing the water out. Could be uncomfortable if the bearing seizes around your fingers or comes apart.

Roberta

Terry Ruprecht. Ron here.Say I noticed you have a 9a QB IO/320. Iam building the same. Got a question. Do you have the ANDAIR fuel pump and filter? If not thats ok tooo. My question is where do i go thru the firewall with my fuel line from the pump. Did you come up high or stay low right or up higher? Ron in Oregon