RVG8tor

Well Known Member
On final assembly did you use grease or just oil up the parts of the leg that go into the socket. I would think grease would be getter for long term corrosion protection. There are no grease fittings to intro duce grease here on a regular basis.

Would a light coat be better if too much grease does it ooze out over time? These are things a new builder ponders when the directions give no direction on such matters. Grease oil, heavy light Aeroshell 22 or lithium what to do what to do!

Thanks

I just asked that question....

I talked to Harmon Lange a couple weeks ago (the guy the makes all the gear legs for Vans). I asked him about when I reinstall my gear leg, if I should put some grease in there.
He told me to just use some anti-seize when I install the legs.

Kent

Anti-seize

I had not thought of that one, you can't get any better information than from the guy that makes the parts.

I have read a lot of posts and have heard everything from lightly oil to heavy grease.

I don't have any anti-seize looks like a trip to the store, any recommendations on what type to use?

I had not thought of that one, you can't get any better information than from the guy that makes the parts.

I have read a lot of posts and have heard everything from lightly oil to heavy grease.

I don't have any anti-seize looks like a trip to the store, any recommendations on what type to use?

Just get a tube of it for spark plugs...... you will be using a very thin coat. And you can also use it on your spark plugs.............:D

Last summer I took the gear legs out of my RV-6 to weld cracks in the engine mount. I was amazed at the amount of rust/pitting on the leg where they are tapered inside the sockets. So I would make sure its primed and only areas where metal to metal contact occur that you don't prime and I would use a good nickel based anti-seize there.

This is what I would use if I was buying something specifically for this purpose (IMO antisieze is not appropriate in this application).

AEROSHELL Grease 17 is a fully synthetic grease containing 5% molybdenum disulphide. It is particularly suitable for lubricating heavity loaded sliding surfaces such as bogie pins on aircraft landing gear assemblies over the temperature range of -73 ?C to +149 ?C.

Fact is, I just used Aeroshell 22 that I use on wheel bearings:

AEROSHELL Grease 22 is a fully synthetic grease designed for severe operating conditions including high bearing loads, high speeds and where long grease retention and high water resistance are required.

What Van's says....

As a data point, the RV-10 plans specifically state on the gear installation step to "apply a film of wheel bearing grease to the surfaces of the main gear leg that are not powder coated and that will contact the gear mount socket." YMMV....