Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I've searched previous posts on a 2 blade MT prop slinging grease. On the lsat 2 flights, I've noticed some fine grease mist on my windscreen. Not a lot but enough to tick me off.

It is only on 1 blade after examination (prop has 130 hours on it). Prop has also been dynamically balanced so I don't think that is the problem.

Specifically, I found this post:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=21266&highlight=prop+leaking+grease

Also I found some info on Hartzell props leaking at the zerks. Apparently, MT don't have zerks.

I called American Propeller where I got the prop and it was suggested to me that the seal may be the reason. I was supposed to cycle the prop "heavily" at run up to see if this would help but it did not. It is under warranty and they said it wouldn't be a problem if it didn't stop.

Is this a transient issue and will stop or will it get worse? Is it due to the fact that the thermometer has risen into the 90's? For those that have been through this, what happened to you?

If it keeps up, I guess it's time to use the warranty. Next question, where are the warranty centers close to Jackson, MS?

I noticed very light grease streaks on my windscreen for a couple flights last year. It was noticable only with the sun at a angle....enough to want to clean at the next stop but not enough to make a precautionary stop to check out.
It stopped on it's own. This is on a three blade Hartzell with IO 360.

I am not making any recommendations only posting my experience.

MTV15-B?

I have had a torturous time with this problem on my MT MTV-15-B prop. It has been resealed twice in 240 hours. MT came out with new seals but they are still not good enough to keep the grease from spitting out. It is to the point where I'm almost ready to trash the prop and go with something else.

Not sure how many others have had issues with this prop leaking grease but if you are or will be shopping for a prop take the MTV15 off your list.

MT is not a customer service oriented company. I had to complain to the president of the company before they would agree to reseal it and the second time was just as bad. The shop told me they wanted to only authorize them to do the reseal while the prop was still on the plane and would not pay for them to remove and re-install it. Fortunately the shop said no to that but I had to fight them to pay for it as well.

Yup....I'm bitter. For all the great vendors and good experiences I have had in this community, MT is on the bad boy list.