BlackRV7

Well Known Member
For those who have not seen the weather screen on the GRT unit, here is a screen shot along with a very poor Youtube video. On the video I have skewed the unit to show Fay just south Jacksonville, pretty much centered over the Cape. It seemed to stall over that area, you guys and gals have got to have been swamped with rain. Anyway, it is difficult to see (if someone wants to host the original file for higher def., let me know and I'll send it to you) but by pushing the right knob I am bringing up the info on the airport along with current Metars. For those deciding on whether to put weather in the cockpit, get off the fence. I have posted a pic to show what Fay looks like on a 150 mile scan. The magenta line stops at Jacksonville.

grt004uw1.jpg

I wish Youtube did not degrade the quality of the video but you can see a general idea what you get. The original is much better, the actual screen is amazing. I took this video in bright sunlight with the canopy open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53UhiD28Hlg

Last edited:
Great video Dana! You can get higher quality if you look just to the lower right of the video on YouTube - "View in higher quality" - I think that's fairly new (at least to me!).

Paul

Great video Dana! You can get higher quality if you look just to the lower right of the video on YouTube - "View in higher quality" - I think that's fairly new (at least to me!).

Paul

Yep.....just push that quality button.....L@@Ks good:eek:

Paul

Duh............on my part:confused:

One note as to the presentation, this page is the full screen MAP page but I can split screen it showing the artificial horizon on the left side of the screen and the weather overlaid the map page on the right. Lot's of different options. It looks like Fay is set to come back ashore today so I plan on getting some additional screen shots to add to the thread.

Dana, what model of screen is that???

Horizon 1, or something newer?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Dana, what model of screen is that???

Thanks.

Mike, this is the standard HS screen. I have my HX paid for and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. The new high speed processor and high speed serial ports on the HX are going to be worth their weight in gold. Can't wait!!

Here are some screen shots from this morning that people have ask me to post.

This one is showing a 300 mile range shot with the screen oriented to a track up. You can see the weather west and south of my location, along with the red hashed box showing IFR. By clicking the right knob and rotating it, it highlights each airport or navaid showing on the screen. In this case, I have highlighted Nashville. It also shows the bearing and distance to what you have highlighted.

grt009qu5.jpg

By clicking the right knob again, it brings up the details showing runways, frequencies and the ability to show TAF, make it a waypoint or if you have an SL30 or 40 assign a frequency to the standby slot.

grt010kb9.jpg

By rotating the right knob, if you have weather, it scrolls through all the current weather reported by that station. In this case, Nashville is reporting wings 160 at 11, 10 vis with few at 9500' broken 15,000 broken 20,000.

grt011kv3.jpg

Current Tropical Storm Fay, with Jacksonville my direct to from the 430 showing at the end of the magenta line.

grt013ht5.jpg

Split screen

grt015ot4.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, this is the standard HS screen. I have my HX paid for and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. The new high speed processor and high speed serial ports on the HX are going to worth their weight in gold. Can't wait!!

Dana,
They didn't take your money yet did they? You mean you have funds in hand and are ready, correct?

Dana, big thaaanks for the info, and the extra screen shots.

I have the dual Horz 1 setup, with the XM weather in my 10. Now I have a better idea of what it can do, once it is up and flying:D:D

The GRT units are pretty amazing in their capabilities, but quite intimidating when it comes to figuring out how to make it all dance. I suspect when I actually start using it, operations will become much more fluid.

Dana,
They didn't take your money yet did they? You mean you have funds in hand and are ready, correct?

Scott, I went through Stein and just paid the HX price up front, so one of them has my money:eek: I'm not worried with either of these companies:D If you are waiting, as I understand it, GRT has a 100 day backlog on the HX displays.

Scott, I went through Stein and just paid the HX price up front, so one of them has my money:eek: I'm not worried with either of these companies:D If you are waiting, as I understand it, GRT has a 100 day backlog on the HX displays.

I have an email confirmation from Sandy that my name was added to "the list" on 10/10/2007 for an HX unit. I'll bet you, and a bunch of other people, get yours first :)!

Dana, big thaaanks for the info, and the extra screen shots.

I suspect when I actually start using it, operations will become much more fluid.

You are going to see, when you start using the GRT unit, it is very intuitive and obviously well thought out for pilots by the engineers at GRT. It is one very nice piece of equipment, and as Bob Collins said in another post, the customer service exceeds the quality of the hardware.