GalinHdz

Well Known Member
Is there a good (free is better) flight planning tool that has a GPX export capability? The old AOPA flight planner had this feature but not the new FlyQ "junk".

:cool:

Is there a good (free is better) flight planning tool that has a GPX export capability? The old AOPA flight planner had this feature but not the new FlyQ "junk".

Haven't found a free one. I used the old AOPA planner a lot with the export feature with my Skyview - very convenient. AOPA's "upgrade" of their online planner was abysmal. How this "passed" is beyond me. They have slowly worked through some of the bugs (many) but it is still horrible to use - scroll/zoom and wait 10 seconds while the screen refreshes, etc.

I called to inquire about the export feature coming back and the person I talked with had no info and, honestly, didn't seem to care to want to assist me. I emailed several times since about it and have NEVER received a reply to any email. The pessimist in me thinks they are purposefully keeping it crappy to push folks toward their app...

Will think hard when my renewal comes due...

Last edited:
THANKS! I was hoping to find a free program that just did it. I do a work around using Skyvector and Garmin Base Camp. Both are free programs.

1 - Plan the route in Skyvector
2 - Create personal points in Garmin Base Camp using the Skyvector GPS coordinates for Waypoints, VORs, Intersections, Airports, etc.
3 - Recreate the Skyvector route in Base Camp using the new personal points
4 - Export the route in .gpx format to a thumb drive.

You can cut-n-paste most of the GPS coordinates from Skyvector into Base Camp so the possibility of error is greatly reduced although not completely eliminated. It works really well on the DYNON Skyview system, but a long flight is very labor intensive.