woodsideraff

Well Known Member
I just traded my RV7A project for a completed RV8. Any ideas on mounting the 496 without getting into the panel?

Eventually I'll incorporate the Gizmo into the panel, but for now, I just want to have the 496 in a convenient spot.

Thanks and regards,

Rafael

I've got mine on a short RAM mount, as do many others. You can put the base in a lot of different places - where will depend on your panel layout probably.

Paul

......Any ideas on mounting the 496 without getting into the panel?.....
Rafael,

I suppose there are any number of ways to mount a handheld GPS without giving up valuable real estate on the RV-8 instrument panel. Here's how I did it. Not wanting to use a 12V "cigarette lighter" type receptacle as its power source, I hard wired the 496 into the electrical buss and autopilot using a power cable designed for the purpose and available from Garmin. Its antenna is mounted under the cowl.

Rafael,

I suppose there are any number of ways to mount a handheld GPS without giving up valuable real estate on the RV-8 instrument panel. Here's how I did it. Not wanting to use a 12V "cigarette lighter" type receptacle as its power source, I hard wired the 496 into the electrical buss and autopilot using a power cable designed for the purpose and available from Garmin. Its antenna is mounted under the cowl.

This looks terrific! Thanks! I think I can figure out the bracket from the picture.

I'll need two antennas: one for the GPS and the other for the Weather. I'll probably not use the autopilot connection for now, since I have a GNS430 in the panel. When I re-do the panel, I'll switch the inputs to the autopilot.

Cheers,

Rafael

RAM mount

Paul,

Thanks for the information on the RAM mount. I'll take a look at it and how it would fit in my layout.

Regards,

Rafael