hhonickm

I'm New Here
I am looking at a used GPS 496. It looks like the glass around the perimeter has some purple blotches. Wonder if the glass is coming unglued or if it was reglued on. Anyone had a similar experience? Should I be worried?

Thanks

It looks perfect and works perfectly. Just the little glue bloches. It is a great price at about $1500. If I had to, I could buy it and then if it fails, send it to Garmin for refurbishing for $400. Still leaves me at $1900 which isn't bad.

They must have cleaned the screen with something with ammonia in it.

This is specifically forbiden by Garmin on their X96 products....

i cleaned my screen with a product that i use for my windscreen. it cleaned up like new!!!!!!! wow!!!!!

The seal around the perimeter of the LCD module has lost its integrity. You might call or email Garmin to see what an LCD replacement would cost before you commit.

Frankly, with all the used excellent condition 496s on the market, being sold by reputable vendors for around $1900, it might be safer to just snag one of those. I bought one recently for $1875 and it came with a free update to streets and maps. A free download on Garmin brought the operating software up to date.

Seems like it might be a least-hassle method compared to getting one in need of repair. Just a simple search found this one for $1895

http://www.tropicaero.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=496-081

But there are other avionics shops out there with similar.