yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
I know this has been discussed before but I'm hoping there's been some additional progress. On the first flight this morning I VERY bright sun, low angles (0830-0930 EST) and the GPS screen was unreadable at any point in the flight. Brightness is set to Auto, Haven't tried:rolleyes: terrain shading yet, looking for suggestions before looking for another place to mount it. Wore sunglasses, not polarized, and have a Koger screen that's not installed yet.

Wayne 120241

If you don't allow the sun to shine on the face of your GPS you should have no problem reading it. Shade it with something or just move it out of direct sun.

Turn off Terrain Shading Off!

Turn Terrain Shading off it will make a world of difference. It will make the screen a lot brighter. You don't have to worry about seeing a mountain cause the 496 will still squawk if you are going to hit something.

John
RV12 N1212K

Brightness is set to Auto

Just FYI, I don't think those units have an "Auto" setting for brightness. All the backlight level adjustments are manual (press the power button to quickly access the backlight/volume settings).

mcb

I removed my 496 and re-mounted it with a 15 degree angle towards pilot view. Helped the visibility measurably. A Koger sunshield helps as well.
Dick Seiders 120093