jrouault

Well Known Member
Patron
For those of you that have mounted your GPS antenna under the cowl or under a fiberglass access panel, have you found that metallic paint on these surfaces degrades the signal?

I have two GPS antennas and a weather receiver under a fiberglass access panel on the front deck. These antennas have functioned perfectly in this location. However, my plane is now in the paint shop and I am wondering if the JetGlo metallic paint that will be used will affect performance of these antennas.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,
I recently researched this on VAF and the conclusion I seem to remember is that it is not a problem. I think the search terms I used were "GPS antenna cowl" or something like that. From what I remember, either there is not enough metal in the paint or what they are using is not really metal. I am putting my antennas under the cowl as well.

I hope this helps.

Metalics

I don't think any of the current JetGlo products have metal metalic in them. We used to have to be careful lest a metalic stripe on a radome would attenuate the radar, but it isn't an issue any more.

No problem..

...since my buddy has a silver paint on his -4. I've flown it many times and the 496 acquires satellites quickly and wx comes in with no problem either.

Regards,

Metallics

It is my understanding, after a discussion with a DuPont rep, that modern metallics use a polymer similar to Mylar in there flake metallics. If so, it doubt it would cause an issue with signal transparency. I have my GPS puck on the firewall, so it sees the sky through my cowl. All was perfect until I added some heat reflective sticky back aluminum stuff to the top cowl. On the next flight, my GPS was very quiet!! Felt like an idiot......

Regards,
Chris