RVWanabe

Does anyone know the differences (not size of screen) between the Lowrance 600c & the 2000C?....ALso where can I find the 600C cheapest?

Thanks...
Ivan from Sugar Land, Texas

Does anyone know the differences (not size of screen) between the Lowrance 600c & the 2000C?....ALso where can I find the 600C cheapest?

We use the 600c as a backup to the Garmin 696. It's usually in the $495 range, but goes on sale once and awhile for $299. That's how we got ours.

One difference it has, is the terrain profile view. I don't use it, but I don't think the 2000C has it. Could be wrong though.

The main use of ours, is to duplicate the route in mph. I use knots on the 696; but people that fly along on those $100 brunches run in mph. At least it's easier to tell who is where.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

One difference it has, is the terrain profile view. I don't use it, but I don't think the 2000C has it. Could be wrong though.
2000c has great terrain profile view. It also overlays your projected vertical flight path line to show whether or not you will clear terrain at your current rate of climb/descent.

Thanks...
Ivan from Sugar Land, Texas
The biggest issue with the 600C is Lowrance's support. I sent mine in two weeks ago for an out of warranty $160 exchange. They don't have any in stock and don't expect to have any to send me until mid August. Naturally they have already cashed my check. My RV-7A has had an empty 600C Gizmo mount for it's first 10.7 hours and probably for the rest of it's 40 hour Phase 1. I have given up on Lowrance and am in the process of getting a Garmin.

I called a vendor to order my600c & they were out of stock. When asked when they were getting new units...the answer was never. They said that Lowrance was getting out of the aviation GPS business. No more 600c or 2000c. They will warrantee & support but no more new units.
I don't need color & it's flat where I fly...so I am getting a Garmin 96. They have new 96 for $375.00 or refurbished with full warrantee 96c for $375.00

Ivan in Sugar Land, Texas.

I called a vendor to order my600c & they were out of stock. When asked when they were getting new units...the answer was never. They said that Lowrance was getting out of the aviation GPS business. No more 600c or 2000c. They will warrantee & support but no more new units.
I don't need color & it's flat where I fly...so I am getting a Garmin 96. They have new 96 for $375.00 or refurbished with full warrantee 96c for $375.00

Ivan in Sugar Land, Texas.

If that is true, it is a sad situation. Lowrance has been the value priced high quality alternative to Garmin for aviation products. I'm not sure what is out there today that will keep Garmin from charging even more for its products.

I had a casual 30 minute discussion with one of the founders of Lowrance (Daryl Lowrance) while sitting in the shade at SnF a couple of years ago. He was just finishing the last year of his presidency - that last year was part of the deal when Lowrance was sold to Navico. He indicated at the time that Navico was pushing development of higher end marine products, but new aviation products were on the way including XM.

Of course, XM has not been forthcoming from Lowrance, and their representatives at SnF gave the impression of being corporate stepchildren - with nothing in the pipeline and a string of broken promises on the development side.

If Lowrance is exiting the business, that should be pretty apparent at Osh - no new products and no display booth...

I talked with the AvMap rep at Arlington--he & the Lowrance rep are buddies and fly together, which I knew from previous visits. Lowrance was missing from Arlington & I asked Verne, why?

He said the conglomerate that owned Lowrance was in big financial trouble and that either Lowrance or the aviation portion of Lowrance was the only part of the company that was making any money. He was concerned that Lowrance might go belly up and that would leave Garmin with almost no competition--AvMap being a very small company. We forgot to discuss the Av8or.

I was unable to confirm or deny his story by searching the internet. There is a family of funds, one of which owns a company that owns Lowrance but the info about the fund and the intermediate company is unclear.

So, the best that can be said from what I found is that Lowrance is in turmoil.