David_Nelson

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a GPS puck to use as a 2nd RS-232 GPS source. So far, I'm only able to find the Garmin GPS 18 OEM and the one from Byonics. They are both priced about the same.

The intended home of the puck would be up on the glare shield. Problem is, both have a magnet in them. So far the panel doesn't have any magnetically sensitive devices but I'd just rather not have one in the vicinity to begin with.

I've read the VAF post were the case was opened on the GPS 18 OEM and the magnet removed. I wouldn't hesitate if this were a $20 item.

I also emailed Byonics inquiring if the magnet was removable. It's not (at least not without prying the case apart).

Are their any that don't have a magnet in the base? What are others doing for a simple, cost effective, 2nd GPS source?

Thanks,

The antennae I got from MGL have a foil sticker covering the base. I peeled it back, unscrewed the magnets, & stuck it back down. Didn't want them anywhere near the magnetometer thingy.

MGL's GPS

The antennae I got from MGL have a foil sticker covering the base. I peeled it back, unscrewed the magnets, & stuck it back down. Didn't want them anywhere near the magnetometer thingy.
Hi aerhed,

I looked on MGL's site, under 'accessories' (both US and S. Africa sites), and found a picture of a GPS puck, but no specifics like price, voltage requirements, etc.

Regards,

Just a thought but can the magnet be de-magnitized like some have done to the airframe and rollbar area???

Removing the magnets

David,

If you decide to use the Garmin 18 OEM, the 4 magnets are very easy to remove using the method I showed in that post. I was very hesitant too, but it turned out to be really easy. If you go that route and want the tool (soldering iron tip) just let me know and I'll drop it in the mail.

Chris