lr172

Well Known Member
Looking for some advice from the more experienced. I am setting up my -6A for IFR and plan to get my rating after the 6A is flying. I have both a 396 and a KLN-90b. I had originally planned to stack the avionics in the center and put the 396 to the side, under the EMS.

As I was laying everything out, I realized that I may be using the 396 a lot more than the KLN-90, as it has an old generation moving map and the 396 will provide much better situational awareness. I wear progressive lenses and have to turn my head to see the detail of the small display and I had to turn my head much more for the lower right than the centers stack.

Would you put the 396 in the center and the KLN-90 to the right. I will have an annunciator panel in the center as well. I am assuming that I will not need to look at the KLN much, as the Dynon HSI and annunciator lights should give me most info.

Any thoughts or advise?

Thanks,

Larry

Can this EFIS import/display the info from the 396??

The D100 can take Bearing and Course data from the 396, as well as Sl-30 and KLN-90 for driving the HSI display. It has no moviing map capability or other benefits like terrain warnings that I have to get directly from the 396.

In that case, I would suggest that you put the 396 close to your line of sight.

But then, you had probably already gotten to that conclusion after answering the questions I had asked;)

I too wear progressives and there is no substitute for sitting in the cockpit with paper cutouts of all the avionics taped to the panel. Try reaching for the switches, reading the displays, etc. I ended up moving my EFIS lower so that it was in focus thru my glasses with my head level.
Setting up for an approach on the KLN90 involves a fair amount of button pushing/knob turning. I would be reluctant to mount it on the far right, if that meant that the EFIS was not within my vision while turning knobs on the gps. For position awareness an occasional glance at the portable gps should suffice.
So I'd recommend KLN in center, Garmin portable on the right.
But try it with paper cut outs.
What are you planning to use to back up the D100, and where will it go?

PS

If you have a transponder or audio panel, I would move them (in that order) to the right and put both gps units in the center.

I put my 496 to the right of center and mounted it in an AirGizmo along with the angle adapter so it is canted towards the left side.

I too wear progressives and there is no substitute for sitting in the cockpit with paper cutouts of all the avionics taped to the panel. Try reaching for the switches, reading the displays, etc. I ended up moving my EFIS lower so that it was in focus thru my glasses with my head level.
Setting up for an approach on the KLN90 involves a fair amount of button pushing/knob turning. I would be reluctant to mount it on the far right, if that meant that the EFIS was not within my vision while turning knobs on the gps. For position awareness an occasional glance at the portable gps should suffice.
So I'd recommend KLN in center, Garmin portable on the right.
But try it with paper cut outs.
What are you planning to use to back up the D100, and where will it go?

Thanks for the guidance on the KLN-90. My panel is pretty much done, but I think I can put the intercom and Transponder on the right with some work and redoing some wires on the harness.

I have an ASI, ALT, T&C and Compass to backup the EFIS. I am considering some type of electric horizon if I plan to do serious IFR.

I realize that cost is always a issue but used 696's are dropping in value. It would be a large upgrade from a 396 for a panel mount. It is Also kinder on the old eyes many of us have. I thought the swap from a 396 was one of the best upgrades I made.

George