Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
I had a complete dropout of GPS signals - no satellites at all - today on my 430W when departing an airport w/ a tower frequency of 121.2 which, IIRC, is one of the frequencies with a known interference to GPS. Took several minutes (and miles) before it came back on-line. Oddly, my Dynon GPS never lost lock and functioned perfectly throughout (which is why I have the Dynon GPS :) in addition).

Is this still a problem with that frequency (or others), and if so, is there a fix?

Or should I look for something else to diagnose?

I had a complete dropout of GPS signals - no satellites at all - today on my 430W when departing an airport w/ a tower frequency of 121.2 which, IIRC, is one of the frequencies with a known interference to GPS. Took several minutes (and miles) before it came back on-line. Oddly, my Dynon GPS never lost lock and functioned perfectly throughout (which is why I have the Dynon GPS :) in addition).

Is this still a problem with that frequency (or others), and if so, is there a fix?

Hello Steve,

Please shoot us an email and describe your installation in terms of antenna location, cable length, antenna model, antenna serial number and we can discuss whether or not we have ideas on improvements to prevent this.

A picture of the antenna installation would also be good.

Thanks,
Steve

I would suggest that you do the VHF COM interference test that is called out in the installation manual. I understand that there is a 1.57542 GHz notch filter available if you can't resolve the situation otherwise. I would also suggest that your double check to ensure that your GPS antenna cable meets the specs called out in the manual and is of the correct length as required.

Last edited:
And there was a bunch of WAAS antennas that played up too....yes I know how that happened the hard way :)

No problem since.

Yes, I had a bad antenna as well but my issues were different and were not associated with transmitting.

While it would be easy to lump all of these types of issues into one big pile, I don't think we can do that. There are details related to each of the failure modes that make them unique.

430 gps

Before upgrading my 430 to WAAS several years ago, I occasionally had GPS signal loss. I traced it down to the cable connection to the antenna, which was a simple BNC and the copper wire therein. After upgrading to WAAS with its new antenna, cable, and connection, I have had no further problems.

My 430W looses signal at a certain point, every time I pass over it. The GRT GPS is steady as a rock.