deej

Well Known Member
Is Garmin the only company that currently makes WAAS precision approach GPS units? If not, what other options are there?

Is Garmin the only company currently making non-precision approach GPS units? If not, what other options are there?

I am considering equipping my VFR airplane for IFR, and am trying to evaluate the options available. Garmin makes nice units, but they are also very expensive.

Thanks,

-Dj

I looked at the King KLN-94 before I got a Garmin 430W and now my GTN 650.

its not a bad GPS. and it is color. you can connect its output to a larger screen for bigger better maps.

Other than that, all I was able to find were antiquated units.

WAAS Precision Approach Certified GPS's are expensive no way around it. Occasional deals can be found however for used units that are in great shape with many years left on em. Be aware of the many scams on Ebay and similar. Crooks take advantage of the aviation community on a regular basis. If the deal is too good to be true, most likely it is!

i see the Apollo/UPS now Garmin GNS-480s selling for a bit less than the 430s. Its a more capable unit but I am leery of longer term support. Looks like the price entry point is still at least $6K.:(

I also am looking to see if there is any compitition for Garmin in the WAAS / GPS units for our aircraft. Avidyne is the only other manufacturer that I have found that comes close. There units are Plug In Replacements for many of the Garmin units.

I am only looking at NEW units. I do not want to get an older unit that may not have parts available in the near future.

not want to get an older unit that may not have parts available in the near future.

Not to mention that "graphics (resolution & the look of lego blocks for terrain & weather)" on older units look horrible compared to today's models.

The only other unit I have found is one that GRT is supposed to be releasing in early 2013. I think it only works with their EFIS system, though, and is not standalone. I think the cost will be $4400, and it is a WAAS unit certified for precision approaches.

It is the best priced option for a WAAS precision GPS available, IF you already have a compatible GRT EFIS installed.

-Dj

The only other unit I have found is one that GRT is supposed to be releasing in early 2013. I think it only works with their EFIS system, though, and is not standalone. I think the cost will be $4400, and it is a WAAS unit certified for precision approaches.

It is the best priced option for a WAAS precision GPS available, IF you already have a compatible GRT EFIS installed.

-Dj

Could they be teaming up with Freeflight again to incorporate their GPS? Link to ADS-B support from FF.

I have GRT equipment and am totally pleased with it. But, GRT is a small company and this is a major undertaking. Early 2013 might mean December, or later.

Where did you hear this? Can you provide a reference to this information?

Found it.... Thanks Bob. Have you spoken to GRT on this? I had a post on Yahoo asking about it but they were hush -hush on the subject...

GPS400W

-Dj

Hello Dj,

Just a reminder that all existing and new G3X customers may purchase a GPS400W IFR navigator for $3,995 street price and not only will they have the required position source for 2020 ADS-B Out compliance, they can also fly IFR enroute and thousands of LNAV, LNAV+V, LNAV/VNAV, and LPV approaches.

No waiting - available today.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
There are three or four 400W units at the Ryan field KRYN that have just been removed for upgrading their panels from some business jets for sale they are asking $2000.00 and open to offers. The one I saw was in perfect shape.

I use the FreeFlight 1201 and it has been rock solid. I couldn't find a current price on their website.

Jim Berry
RV-10

The poster asked about ifr approach approved units. I don't think freeflight qualifies.
As to the other question, no, I have not asked GRT about their project gps. I am curious how they will handle the database issue.

If I was in the market I would jump on a used 400w for $2K.

There are three or four 400W units at the Ryan field KRYN that have just been removed for upgrading their panels from some business jets for sale they are asking $2000.00 and open to offers. The one I saw was in perfect shape.

PM sent, thanks.

There are three or four 400W units at the Ryan field for sale they are asking $2000.00 and open to offers

Jsut a head's up so to save Bill and Mark some time ... they are gray (not black) and the asking price for those 400W units is $3500 (not $2000).

That's interesting. I was quoted $2000.00 last week. I'll have to look into that because that price I think is too high. I would have never made the original post had I known they were going to change the price.

I spoke with the gentleman who actually has the units. He noted that the $2000 price was floating around but was incorrect. $3500 is pretty close to the market price for the 400W. They are still selling new for around $6000.