GPS time, basically atomic clock time, is used in all kinds of applications that have nothing to do with GPS positioning. I remember reading a popular science article about how easy it is. A couple of bucks at radio shack. Even mentioned taking the door off a microwave could jam GPS for miles, directionally (I don't recommend trying it out). There are easy ways to sheild against it, but that incurs significant cost/complexity that no one out side of the military really wants to invest in.

Certain countries figured out years ago how to deny GPS.

As you most likely noticed, numerous events mentioned in the article happened up to four years ago. I know, because I've read it before.

Do I think we're too dependent on GPS? H*** NO....................And I'm glad we are. It's about time, that technology has gotten to where it's at!
The future... with terrain/obstacle mapping and synthetic vision is the best thing to come along for IFR in decades!

I'm sick and tired reading about the chain of events that often end with a CFIT. The mountains around here are dotted with CFIT accidents from one end to the other. Thankfully, moving maps and synthetic vision are a means, which the pilot can immediately look at..........and instantly realize, that the present course or altitude is not a good one to be at. Radio nav can't do that, and never could!

IMO, there is a lot of the "sky is falling" mentality in regards to GPS. I don't want to see a step backwards..... and return to the 1940's radio nav.
Loran isn't that worthwhile either. I've used moving map GPS since 1993. I know how reliable it really is. With all that's been invested in the GPS constellation.............I really don't believe that the future will end up with a bunch of cases of hap hazard jamming all over the place.

Note: CFIT (controlled flight into terrain)

L.Adamson --- RV6A, Garmin 696

GPS is great

We use them on our boats navigating the Columbia River. They are a great tool but they are just that, a tool, not something to become so dependant on that you can't navigate without it.

Randy
8A Flying