RV7AV8R

Well Known Member
Yesterday I flew from Everett WA to Ashland OR. I saw a warning about sun spot activity being unusually high Fri and Sat, and sure enough several times during the 2.5 hr trip my garmin 396 showed a warning No gps signal. I also have an iPad which would not track with the gps the whole trip. Occasionally it would indicate 20 to 30 miles off. I have a panel mounted Bendix/king kmd150 which tracked perfectly the whole trip. All 3 units worked perfectly to and from OSH earlier this summer. So I conclude these sun spot warnings of gps interference are REAL. I tuned in my VOR just in case the King failed also. The vors worked as usual.

Last edited:
Yesterday I flew from Everett WA to Ashland OR. I saw a warning about sun spot activity being unusually high Fri and Sat, and sure enough several times during the 2.5 hr trip my garmin 396 showed a warning No gps signal. I also have an iPad which would not track with the gps the whole trip. Occasionally it would indicate 20 to 30 miles off. I have a panel mounted Bendix/king kmd150 which tracked perfectly the whole trip. All 3 units worked perfectly to and from OSH earlier this summer. So I conclude these sun spot warnings of gps interference are REAL. I tuned in my VOR just in case the King failed also. The vors worked as usual.

Last year, with two solar flares........... I concluded that it wasn't a big deal afterall. I admit that I'd like some additional reports from flying activity in this area. For me, much of my flying is in moutainous regions and out of sight from VORs. I don't even carry radio nav capability in the plane.

L.Adamson --- RV6A/ Garmin 696 with external antenna

Now, I'm not sure

Upon return to Seattle between Ashland and Salem I had similar GPS problems today. No signal. This has never happened before so I assumed it was the sun spots. But when it happened again today in the same area I am wondering. Anyone else have problems with GPS signals in southern OR?

This may explain why my TT Digiflight II lost GPS Lock a couple of times this Saturday and reverted to heading mode. Didn't notice it had happened until we started drifting off of the displayed course line on the 696.

I flew from Socorro NM to Reno on Saturday and for a while in the early part of the flight my GPS was acting a bit funny and not sending data to the Dynon. Only lasted a few minutes then all went back to normal. I was near a restricted area and thought maybe they were testing a jamming device or something - hadn't thought about the sunspots.

Just another (maybe) data point.

greg

It's not Sun Spots this time

I discovered the source of my 396 interference and lost satellite tracking ability. It turns out my new Sennheiser S1 headset is causing the problem. I was able to duplicate the problem several times on the ground using the Garmin in the Satellite detect mode. As soon as I turned on the S1 the satellites started to drop out. This isn't good, especially since I love the new S1. I still need to verify if it also screwing up the ipad which I also love. It is not affecting my King KMD150. The GPS antenna on the 150 is outside in front of the wind shield. The Garmin antenna is mounted on the seat back rest balk head. Maybe I need to move the antenna, I will try that next. Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:
Sennheiser replacement

I talked to the factory and they said early S1 units had a flaw that caused gps interference and they will replace my headset.

I talked to the factory and they said early S1 units had a flaw that caused gps interference and they will replace my headset.

I believe it - my 2006 Chevy pickup factory AM radio blocks out my Garmin 196 each and every time. Must be an intermediate oscillator that puts out enough IF trash to kill the S/N ratio. If I turn it to FM or XM the GPS picks right back up.