judoka5051

Well Known Member
Hey Guys,

I've been looking and searching, but no joy. What I'm looking for is a GPS that will turn on when ships power is applied to supply NMEA data to my EFIS (it's lost without it). I'd like to hide it behind the panel since I don't intend to play with the buttons. I use a Stratus II and iPad mini for visual nav data (sure beats old school sectionals!). Even a small handheld mounted under the engine cowl for satellite line of sight would work. Any ideas?

Many Thanks, Lance

Sure - Google "Garmin GPS18" and pick the hockey puck that best serves your purpose (USB or RS-232). I used one for years - bomb-proof, install and forget. It's an antenna and receiver all in one.

Paul

Lance,
What EFIS are you using? Most EFIS companies sell a GPS device like you are talking about, and one that will have been tested and supported with that EFIS.

Wow!

You guys are awesome as always! Thanks Paul and DJ. It's a Trutrak GP which is no longer made.

Thanks again Gentlemen,

Lance

Lance,

Just a caution in case you didn't notice it; the Byonics unit says '5 volts only', so don't hook it directly to 12 Volts. Also, I didn't see an update rate specified. For APRS, it won't matter, but for the EFIS, it might (for smoother response. The Garmin 18 comes in at least 2 flavors, a 1 hz & a 5 hz model (with significant price differences). There are 10 hz models of other brands out there now, as well. As I said, it might not make any difference, but I'd ask TT before ordering.
Garmin's 18 manual (see pg 6 for update rate by model #):
http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/GPS_18x_Tech_Specs.pdf

To add to the fun, there are also models out there now that automatically track both US GPS & Russian GLOSNASS satellites (yes, there can be advantages....).

Charlie

1 Hz - 5 Hz

Hey Charlie,

Yeah, how about that difference in price! I guess you get what you pay for... I did notice the 5v input for both brands. I plan on using one of those flush fit USB chargers that plug into a cig lighter. I'll be testing for actual output though! Thanks for the heads up. Also, I'll definitely contact TT to make sure it will work.

Thanks, Lance

Sure - Google "Garmin GPS18" and pick the hockey puck that best serves your purpose (USB or RS-232). I used one for years - bomb-proof, install and forget. It's an antenna and receiver all in one.

Paul

I'm not sure I would call them bomb proof. I had one go bad. AFS used to sell them until they started having too many units fail.

One thing to remember is that NMEA is a message standard, but it doesn't say at what baud rate it's transmitted. Make sure the TruTrak is compatible with the speed of the device you buy.