tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I am using a Dynon D6 as a backup EFIS. The installation manual says to connect a GPS data line to use as a failsafe in case it loses its pitot/static data.

I am using a GRT Sport as the primary EFIS and a Garmin 396 which is GPS 2 for the Sport. Since I am running the blue data wire from the 396 to the Sport, it is not available as the gps source for the D6 unless I split the data line and run it to both. Can that be done?

An alternative is to use a completely difference GPS to supply backup data to the D6. I have read here about inexpensive "pucks" that can send the data required.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive simple GPS to provide data to my D6?

Yes!

Since I am running the blue data wire from the 396 to the Sport, it is not available as the gps source for the D6 unless I split the data line and run it to both. Can that be done?

You should be able to run that data line to both EFIS.

2 into 1

Is there anything special about making the Y connection? At this point the line runs from the 396 to a pin on the EIFS connector. Do I just cut the line and splice another line in as I would do an electrical connection?

Last edited:
Mel,
Any problem with that splice in the 396 blue wire to run data to a D10A and the Navaid autopilot?
Thanks!

Assuming the 396 data wire works like it does on the Aera, you can just splice a second wire to it and drive two devices. It's only a data out line from the gps, so the gps won't know that you have two devices connected.

My Aera data out line goes to my Garmin 327, my D10A, and my MGL fuel gauge.