Nope. GPS antennas have a built in amp and are tuned for the sats they are currently listening for.

It is possible, all GPS is only on a single frequency (ok, two if you include L1/L2).

There are two types of GPS antennas, active and passive. The active antennas expect a voltage to power the onboard amplifier. In order to properly split the antenna to multiple receivers, you'd need to block the DC signal from one of the receivers. The system that we use here at work actually has a separate amplifier and blocks the DC from ALL receivers, and then generates its own DC to power the GPS antenna itself.

I would not split a passive antenna, you'd add too much noise to the signal to make it work reliably, unless you have a splitter box with a good LNA inside it and the cable is short to the antenna.

Even with the active antennas, you will measurably degrade the performance of the antenna. As long as you don't fly under the trees :eek: , you probably won't notice it, though. I can't speak for safety or legality of doing this for an IFR installation.

I could whip up a circuit diagram for this, but you're much better off buying a box to do it. I don't recall what we use at work, but here's a link to some:

https://www.navtechgps.com/Shop/equipment/signal_splitters/1x2/index.asp

You'll need to adapt the input voltage to your aircraft voltage to skip the 110V wall-wart adaptor.

<just realized: I haven't introduced myself... coming in another thread>

-Jeff-

Two Antennae, One Wire?

Let's say I wanted to add a second GPS antenna for a second reciever. Can I use the wire that's already there and add a splitter at the end, or do I need to string a second coax?

-Matt
402BD

Clear-Nav Transparent Antenna

...if you need a second GPS antenna, have a look at the Clear-Nav Transparent Antenna... it made its debut on the advertiser's column on the left just these weeks