petehowell

Well Known Member
Hello,

What GPS antenna connector do I need for the back of the tray for a Garmin 400 series?

My research shows this: TED 9-30-10.

Thanks!

The TED 9-30-10 is used by older radios, Kings and the like. It's for soldering a coax pigtail to.

The 400W series uses a tray connector that goes straight to a female BNC. With a standard male BNC on the end of the coax from your antenna, you are good to go.

Are you saying you need a replacement for the Garmin tray connector? The Garmin part number is 330-00053-01.

--Paul

IMHO the TED 9-30-10 type connectors are ridicules. I tried to get a connector to convert my Icom tray To the Garmin type from Garmin but they would have none of it:mad: But I did find a outfit in Texas that did. So I converted my Icom tray to the Straight in (bayonet - bnc), no solder.
I can bet if you used good quality coax and have lots of rf bouncing around in your cockpit, its the TED type connector:eek:

Last edited:
Not if you...

IMHO the TED 9-30-10 type connectors are ridicules. .....
I can bet if you used good quality coax and have lots of rf bouncing around in your cockpit, its the TED type connector:eek:

...installed it correctly.

It is fully shielded (if you solder the shield correctly) and should not let any RF out to bounce around....:)

IMHO the TED 9-30-10 type connectors are ridicules. I tried to get a connector to convert my Icom tray To the Garmin type from Garmin but they would have none of it:mad: But I did find a outfit in Texas that did. So I converted my Icom tray to the Straight in (bayonet - bnc), no solder.

It's a reversed case here..

I'm re-wiring for two radios and an audio panel.
In my case, the new Garmin SL-40 has the TED type connector, and the new Icom 210 has the "no solder" straight in connector. My previous Icom A200 had the TED also.

L.Adamson

Same thing but not a 90.
The Deklin one, like the TED connector, is held in the back plate of the tray by a circlip. The fit is a little loose, and the connector can shift a bit if needed to mate with the connector on the back of the radio when you slide it in the tray. The newer straight Garmin connectors are held to the back plate of the tray as a bushing with a nut. Did you use a Garmin-type one to replace a TED-type one? I was wondering if that would work out okay. I was thinking that the rigid mounting of the connector would make physical alignment with the radio more critical and that might be a problem...

--Paul