Chris S.

Looking for someone with experience mounting a Garmin GA-35 (G3X) behind rear seat on top of the fuselage. How did you compensate for the curvature of the fuselage ? Thanks for information you can share.

Under cowl

Does anyone have a GPS antenna under the cowl with metallic paint. Garmin tells me that will not work. I don't see many mounted on the fuselage.

Glareshield?

What about on the glareshield or back on the turtledeck behind the rear seat? The antenna just needs an unobstructed view of the sky. The advantage of the glareshield location is that it makes the Coax run shorter for less loss.

Does anyone have a GPS antenna under the cowl with metallic paint. Garmin tells me that will not work. I don't see many mounted on the fuselage.

I have seen/done this many times. No issues ever, even with metallic paint.

Bed the antenna in firm flox with release (packing tape) on both surfaces. After it cures, trim and drill etc. to get a nice shape. You could also tint the epoxy if desired.

Thanks guys ! I was thinking it must work under the cowl. Looks like most of them are located there. The glare shield would be great but I'm trying to keep things off of it. thanks again.

Most flake is not metal, so check specifically on the flake you are considering. If it is metal, don't. I have mine mounted under the cowl. Not flying yet. Check "Brantel" posts on his woes with the GA35 - it can fail easily due to over torque of mount screws. If it fails, it screams at the nearby GPS antenna and can confuse them. You need adequate spacing. All in Brantel threads. Note that some pros seal the base and fill the screw cavities on the top. Do some home work on this part.

Last edited: