RV8R999

Well Known Member
I know several builders have installed their GPS ant under the cowling mounted on the firewall. I'm trying to keep the firewall as uncluttered as possible however.

Anyone see an issue with placing the GPS ANT inside the cockpit centered on the skin under the windscreen? I'm not mounting a wet compass since I have a mag compass on both my EFIS's so that space is open. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ken

I hope not.

I have my 496 antenna mounted on the forward part of my windscreen, so I hope there are no issues. I think I've seen others who have done the same thing.

It works great there - I have my 430 antenna under the cowl, but I have several other GPS's with their antennas on the glareshield (along with the XM receiver).

Paul

Transparent GPS Antenna

Ken...have you looked at the Clear-Nav GPS antenna? Look for the link on the left side column of these forums

...more on the Clear-Nav

...for those that missed reading the press release a couple of weeks ago, here's a re-print

An innovative GPS antenna that is transparent and designed to be installed on the inside of aircraft windshield or fiberglass fuselage, is making its world-wide debut on the VAF website.

Called the "Clear-Nav", it is a flexible printed circuit whose origins go back to transparent/covert UHF antennas developed for law enforcement agency vehicles and most recently for space satellites (on their solar-panels). The engineer behind these inventions is one of your fellow RV-8 builders and avid VAF supporter, Peter Vernon (Australia).

The "Clear-Nav" does away with the mouse style GPS antennas mounted on dash-boards or externally on fuselage. With the clear view of the sky the maximum number of received is possible, and the in-line low noise amplifier ensures performance comparable to best out there.

Check it out on www.clear-nav.com

Thanks folks! The Clear-Nav is interesting but I don't want to put anything on the windscreen as it isn't really transparent.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Ken

Peter, a suggestion. Perhaps you could list the physical dimensions of the antenna and the standard cable length?

Clear-Nav mount locations

Ken... thanks for looking and your input. The Clear-Nav does not have to be mount on the windshield. Inside the fiberglass cowl is another option....as long as it is not a metallic surface it is mounted on it will be fine.

The antenna is 3" x 3" square and will try and get those dimensions listed on the specifications page at the next website update.

Peter

Here's another option... behind the passenger on the turtle deck. This one is on Wendell Folk's RV-8
DSCS0309.JPG

Paige

Clear Nav ?

Peter

Could this antenna be stuck to the underside of the engine cowl?
What temperatures can it withstand?
Will it work with all the Garmin receivers, 430W, 496 etc?

Peter -

Does it have to be mounted to a non conductive substrate, or is the backing insulated? If it is, I could see mounting this behind the passenger as depicted in one of the previous posts...

Ken

Also, if using with an approach certified GPS I'm pretty sure this would invalidate the requirement of the TSO which renders the installation non-certified. Am I right?

GPS Antenna

I have built two RV 8's with the GPS antenna's mounted under the front windscreen on both. No problems. One issue however, if your GPS is a WAAS unit such as the Garmin 430W you will need at least 12 feet of antenna wire or it will not work. Just coil it up under the panel.

Pat

Here's another option... behind the passenger on the turtle deck. This one is on Wendell Folk's RV-8
DSCS0309.JPG

Paige

I'm surprised that the curved bar on the slider canopy clears the xm antenna. Has it been tried? This was what kept me from a similar installation on my -8.

Peter -

Does it have to be mounted to a non conductive substrate, or is the backing insulated? If it is, I could see mounting this behind the passenger as depicted in one of the previous posts...

Ken

Or on the glareshield, under the fabric or whatever you put up there. My only objection to the glareshield is aesthetic. OTOH if the antenna is invisible, then I like that location.

I'm surprised that the curved bar on the slider canopy clears the xm antenna. Has it been tried? This was what kept me from a similar installation on my -8.

It clears my GPS and XM antennas, but then I don't have the huge Garmin puck. The curved bar drops a couple of inches in the last few inches of forward canopy movement. Checkout Wendell's site, it looks like it worked fine for him.

Paige

Clear-Nav

Peter -

Ken

Yes Ken... the antenna is a planar circuit and has to be at least a 1/4wavelength (= 3" at GPS frequency) above metallic surfaces. It cannot be mounted on aluminium sheets otherwise it will be completely detuned.

Clear-Nav non-TSO at moment

Also, if using with an approach certified GPS I'm pretty sure this would invalidate the requirement of the TSO which renders the installation non-certified. Am I right?

This product has only just gone into production and has to pay for itself before I can outlay the expense of getting TSO. :eek:

Totally clear antenna

Or on the glareshield, under the fabric or whatever you put up there. My only objection to the glareshield is aesthetic. OTOH if the antenna is invisible, then I like that location.

This is in the pipe-line...however more expensive in the initial manufacturing setup, but if there is a commercially viable demand, then I will go ahead and release the fully transparent version. The current product uses a conductive ink track on a stabilised polyester/mylar film, whereas the fully transparent version would use ITO (transparent ink as used in touch screens)....this would only be suitable for receiving - not transmitting - again the current method is used for some of our covert transmitting antennas by law enforcement and military customers.....sssshh!