tcone1

Well Known Member
In light of the fact that I'll be flying to OSH this year, I was wondering if anybody knows of someplace to rent a GPS/XM combo for the week.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Tim

Consider it a tool and buy one. Your biggest problem is, once you use it, you won't want to give it up......:D

Amen!

......what Bill said.

I borrowed a 396 several years ago and when we dodged big CB's on the way to Jax, my wife said, "We need one of those!" as the thunderstorms passed by our left wing.

Regards,

I normally have no problem dropping large wads of cash on good tools. The thing is that I live in California and only fly VFR (9000+ hour ATP) in the -8. The cost just doesn't make sense for the one time I want to go to OSH.

If Lowrance would pull their heads out of their mass market boat GPS b*tts and do an XM for my neatly installed 2000C, I would be all over it. I didn't go 496 because I don't like the form factor...the 2000 just fit better. If Garmin would do Jeppesen plates on the 696, I'd switch in a heartbeat...I can't spend that much for plates that everybody else downloads for free...I'm just too cheap to feel good spending that much on NACO plates.

Any ideas

I checked with Tropic Aero, they used to rent stuff, but not any longer.

Anybody willing to demo one?

The last time I was at the Pilot's shop at JA Air they indicated that they rented GPS units. They had the 696 on site, but I didn't specifically asked if they rented it. Might be an option. Located at KARR, Aurora, IL.

Thanks Keith

The last time I was at the Pilot's shop at JA Air they indicated that they rented GPS units. They had the 696 on site, but I didn't specifically asked if they rented it. Might be an option. Located at KARR, Aurora, IL.

JA has a 396 with XM for rent at the very reasonable price of $20.00/wk. Sounds great, unfortunately it's not due back until the day I leave. I've got my fingers crossed that it comes back a day or two early.

Any other ideas?