Bubblehead

Well Known Member
With the help of some of the guys on this forum I put together a bracket for my RV-8. The bracket holds both the GPS antenna and the XM radio/antenna and mounts to the firewall under the cowling. The purpose is to get wires and things out of the cockpit and off the glare shield but still get good reception for both devices. I have not mounted it yet - the first brackets just arrived Wednesday. Several others have mounted antennas under the cowling so I expect the antennas will work fine, but we'll hopefully know soon. Here are some pictures.

The extra mounting holes for the antennas gives me the option of orienting the antenna and signal wire in any direction I want. The "slots" on the front edge are to allow easy access to the mounting screws with a long screwdriver. I'll let everyone know how the reception is after I get it mounted and flight tested.

I have a few extra that I'll bring to Sun-N-Fun if any body's interested in having one.

Bracket mounted, reception great

Here are some pictures of the bracket mounted on the firewall. I did not have time to properly run the wires to the cabin, so will not be using it to fly to Sun-N-Fun, but I did run the wires out the air discharge area, put the cowling on, and hooked up the 496. After rolling the plane away from the hanger I faced in plane in 8 directions 45 degrees apart and watched for GPS signal strength. I had WAAS showing regardless of orientation and XM satellite radio was fine the whole time.

All that and the Cubs took 2 of 3 from the Astros! See you guys in Florida! PM me if you would like to see one of these while I'm there Wednesday and Thursday.

Antenna Bracket

Hey Bubblehead - I'm at the antenna install phase of construction on my -8A. I want to purchase one of your brackets (I was part of the initial survey and gave my goodies to VAF). How do I do that?
Booger
(Brownshoe USN ret)

Paul,

Email or pm me your address and I'll send you one. We'll haggle later. Thanks again for the help.

John