whd721

Well Known Member
With the price drop I am considering a GPS696.

Am I correct that it costs ~$550 per year to keep it current?

All of my flying is VFR mostly in good weather only. I do not NEED a 696, but the larger display is worth a lot to me.

Has any one created a personnel lower cost plan/update schedule that works for them?

Suggestions appreciated.

My process

I have a 695 because I do not need or want to get involved with the XM weather (which is a man made business operated system and thus not to be trusted - if the weather is not forecast to be acceptable to my IFR minimums I don't fly). I never use the approach plates, too small, not geo referenced (that is supposed to be changed but that ship has sailed for me - worthless). The displays are so cluttered with colorful **** that it is a pain to look at and focus on the important items. The side slipping Cirrus representation of my aircraft is too gross for the area being displayed (much bigger than the airports).

All of this aside I like the flight planning features and its performance. I use it on every flight. As I have said before I would love it with a display like I have on my Garmin GPS 90 (still works fine thank you) or the Apollo MAP 360 but that's just me. It is a very good navigation reference and I love the instrument panel simulation display (I wish it had a digital display of GPS track like the Pictorial Pilot but it doesn't - at least that I know about).

OK knowing that usage background and features I value - I update two or three data bases one time each year and even that is pricey for me (on the order of $100 per year).

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I can't remember how to program it, but I use the 10 minute GPS track projection.

If you carry up to date charts, then you only need update when it matters to you. I just do it at the start of the season and hope that they don't move any airports or nav-aids.

The XM weather is very impressive. While "not approved for navigation", you can dodge some nasty stuff with it.

Update once a year.

Note that things do change. While not common, a CTAF frequency can change. A new AWOS can be added.

If you do not update on the standard 28 day cycle, you have sources such as Airnav to check important data.

There many be other sources of info that you can update more frequently at a lower cost to supplement the 696 data. I don't know about all the data sources and display devices so get additional guidance from those who are not at the dialup internet technological stage.

Last edited:
For VFR?

Like Ron said - update it once a year (if that). Be selective in the databases that you update (terrain rarely moves).

Thanks for all the opinions.
Much as I like the Garmin GPSs This latest data charges are giving me pause.

The trade off of $~500 in more current data vs $~500 Fuel for fun flying is not easy to rationalize.

Thanks again.